The School of Social Work sponsors a full range of advisement and student development services for prospective, incoming and current students at the undergraduate and graduate levels of study. All students have access to the BSW and MSW academic advisors with whom they can consult in order to address professional, enrollment, and academic interests. The staff members are graduate-degreed social workers who bring experience both in social work and higher education to their work within the school.
BSW: Shantalea Johns (313) 577-4409
MSW: Sarah Barlow (313) 577-4409
The student services program at the School of Social Work offers:
- Basic information about the profession and career opportunities.
- Traditional guidance that helps students understand academic program requirements and assistance with registration.
- Pre-admissions services that help qualified prospective students assess their academic strengths and needs and enroll in pre-degree courses.
- Retention services that help students gain those academic skills or capabilities needed to achieve success in undergraduate or graduate education.
- Advocacy services that help students troubleshoot the issues that can disrupt their success as students.
- Linkage and brokerage services that help students identify appropriate resources available through the university or at community agencies.
- Career advisement and job search opportunities that help students transition into the profession as employed social workers.
Forms and Documents