Dean Cheryl Waites
Professor Cheryl Waites currently serves as the seventh dean of the Wayne State University School of Social Work, a role she has held since 2012. Under Waites’ leadership, the school has undertaken programmatic expansions and refinements. It has established itself as a premier school of social work and as a leader in allied health and interdisciplinary education, training and social work research.
Prior to serving as Dean, Waites held the roles of acting and interim dean for the school after joining the faculty as an associate professor in 2007.
Degrees and Certifications
- EdD North Carolina State University, Counselor Education, Concentration: Psychological Theory & Research
- MSW Fordham University, Graduate School of Social Services, Concentration: Children & Family Services
- BA Hunter College, City University of New York, Major: Sociology. Minors: Psychology & Black Studies
Awards and Honors
- Selected and participated in Leadership Academy in Aging, Social Work Leadership Institute of the New York Academy of Medicine, 2012 – 2013.
- Received the Outstanding Dean in Aging Hartford Partnership Program for Aging Education Leadership Award, Social Work Leadership Institute of the New York Academy of Medicine, October 2010
- Received a NC State University Outstanding Teaching Award, 2005-2006 and College of Humanities and Social Sciences Outstanding Teacher Award, 2005-2006
- Healthy aging
- Health promotion
- Intergenerational relationships
- Culturally appropriate and responsive social work practice and social work education
5447 Woodward Avenue