Posting: Economic Security Senior Policy Analyst/Policy Analyst - Michigan League for Public Policy
April 12, 2023
Michigan League for Public Policy
Economic Security Senior Policy Analyst/Policy Analyst
The Michigan League for Public Policy seeks a Senior Policy Analyst/Policy Analyst to work on local, state and federal economic security and workers’ rights policy and budget issues that improve outcomes for Michiganders who have historically been left out of prosperity.
This is an opportunity for someone with strong research, writing and interpersonal communication skills and an interest and experience in economic security policies.
Some of the policy areas that will be included in this work are: cash assistance, unemployment insurance, worker rights, job training and criminal justice reform.
The successful candidate will work to promote economic, racial and social justice by conducting research, analyzing data, writing reports and blogs, and representing the organization in public forums.
The Michigan League for Public Policy is a statewide research and advocacy organization that works to support economic security, equity and well-being for all Michigan residents, through community engagement and the policy making process. The League is the only Michigan organization that holistically provides research, analysis, policy recommendations and advocacy on a wide range of policy issues that impact those with low and moderate incomes and people of color. All of the League’s work is done through a racial equity lens and is informed by community voices, particularly Black and brown voices which have historically been left out of policy decisions.
Primary Tasks and Functions:
- Conduct research and data analysis and geographical fact sheets on state economic security policy issues that impact the lives of Michiganders with low and moderate incomes and people of color and communicate this information through reports and other written materials and presentations;
- Monitor state and federal policy issues, including legislation, and emerging trends in economic security related public policy;
- Represent the League at coalitions and meetings with partners, policymakers and the media through testimony, presentations and media interviews; and
- Advance personal and organizational equity, diversity and inclusion efforts by fostering and maintaining a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Senior policy analyst candidates are preferred and will be considered based on education (e.g., advanced degrees) and/or experience.
Senior policy analysts have additional expertise in their fields, have more autonomy in the scope of their work and less direct oversight.
Salary will be commensurate with this experience.
Policy analyst candidates will also be considered.
While no candidate will have every desirable quality, the ideal candidate would have:
- Commitment to economic, racial and social justice and expanding opportunity to Michiganders through policy change.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters preferred.
- Relevant educational or equivalent experience researching and working on public policy issues, with preference for education or experience in economic security policies.
- Experience with legislative and/or state budget processes is helpful.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to use and synthesize data from multiple sources to make compelling policy arguments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex issues to broad audiences and to think creatively about data visualization.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, identify opportunities and develop public policy options.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and prioritize and manage multiple tasks, but also able to collaborate and work as part of a team.
- Value and contribute to a culture of diversity and inclusion.
The position is full-time.
The League is based in Lansing, MI and utilizes a hybrid work environment, with the ability to have much of the work done remotely.
Periodic, in-person meetings in Lansing are required.
A senior policy analyst would anticipate receiving an offer in the top half of the range, commensurate with education and experience.
includes health, dental and vision insurance; 401(K); paid leave.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The posting will remain open until filled, but applicants will start being considered on May 3, 2023.
The League is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building and retaining a diverse and inclusive staff and workplace. To us, diversity means differing life experiences and backgrounds that may include gender identity, race, ethnicity, culture, religion, sexual orientation and age. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.