Posting: Data Management Director - TechTown Detroit
May 18, 2023
About the Organization
TechTown is Detroit’s entrepreneurship hub. We empower Detroit-based startups and local businesses by providing resources, collaborative workspace and education for entrepreneurs that will further accelerate inclusive economic development across Detroit.
About the Opportunity
The Data Management Director position is a full-time role within the Data Management team of TechTown Detroit, responsible for overseeing data reporting and data platform management and supervising team members related to that work. The Data Management Director will work to position TechTown as a leader in the equitable collection, management and use of data. The successful candidate will be a seasoned data professional with strong problem-solving skills, experience managing people, and the ability to draw insights from data that support ongoing organizational soul-searching and improvement.
The Impact You Will Make:
- Lead the Data Management team.
- Ensure the integrity of organizational data and the platforms that house that data.
- Guide the development and refinement of relational database architecture.
- Demonstrate effective project management, with an emphasis on meeting deadlines and budget requirements.
- Oversee the development of data reports and analysis to support grant reporting needs, marketing needs, and data-driven decision-making throughout the organization.
- Lead the development and execution of standards for data collection and management that help more effectively tell the story of TechTown’s overall organizational impact.
- Approach data work with an understanding of how local, historical, political, cultural and social contexts influence data collection and analysis.
- Maintain awareness of organizational programs and services to support effective data infrastructure.
- Director-level staff in all departments are expected to:
- Prioritize the continued professional development of team members.
- Lead development and execution of team strategy.
- Create and manage a single department budget and oversee project budgets.
- Support financial sustainability of all team activity and champion organizational fundraising efforts.
- Represent the organization in external engagements (interviews, public speaking, panels, etc.) and maintain relationships with regional entrepreneurial ecosystem partners.
What You Will Bring To The Table:
- 5 years of related experience in nonprofit and/or economic development organizations in a highly competitive public/private funding environment, such as Southeast Michigan.
- Formal training in research methods, user experience and/or data analytics. (This could include workshops, webinars, classes, and/or formal degree programs.)
- Experience with CRM platforms and applied uses in a nonprofit environment. Experience with Zoho One preferred.
- Experience managing a team successfully.
- Formal training (and ongoing pursuit of knowledge) in subject matter related to equity, inclusion and racial justice. (This could include workshops, webinars, classes, and/or formal degree programs.)
- Demonstrated ability to lead culturally competent, transparent data collection and management practices.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to present recommendations and proposals in a concise and persuasive manner.
- Highest level of personal integrity to inspire confidence, respect and trust.
- Willingness to take educated risks and challenge the status quo to bring about change when needed.
The budgeted salary range for this position starts at $85,000 and may be adjusted according to qualifications and experience.
TechTown offers generous health and dental plans as well as vision, life insurance, short-term disability, a 401(k) plan, and a team member assistance program. Full-time team members also receive:
- 100% TechTown paid Life, STD, and LTD benefits
- 5 Weeks of paid time off per year
- 23 paid holidays (including 2 weeks in December and 1 week in July)
- 12 Paid Mental Health Days per year (one per month)
- $2500 Professional development stipend
- Retirement plan with employer matching up to 6%.
- Paid parental leave
Most TechTown team members (including this position) are assigned to work remotely at this time and for the foreseeable future (with occasional in-person collaborative meetings required).
TechTown has instituted a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that requires all team members to be fully vaccinated or have an approved vaccination waiver on file with human resources and undergo weekly testing.
A formal cover letter and resume are required when submitting your application through our Careers site.
Please include your response to this question in your cover letter: What role does data play in furthering equity?