Education Advocate Student Advocacy Center of Michigan - Detroit, MI
September 8, 2017
Student Advocacy Center of Michigan is seeking a full-passionate, knowledgeable Education Advocate, committed to elevating youth and family voice, collaborating with the schools, and ending the school-to-prison pipeline.
Title: Education Advocate
Benefits: Mileage reimbursement, holiday and sick leave, cell phone stipend
- MSW, JD, Masters in Education, Psychology or related behavior specialist degree
- Experience working with students with behavioral challenges.
- Knowledge of IDEA, MARSE, developing behavior plans, and Wayne County schools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient and accurate in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Docs.
- Able to work independently and effectively in a high-paced, fluid environment and solve problems under pressure.
- Have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Scope of services:
- Act as an advocate for obtaining needed education and support services, including screening for special education services.
- Serve as an advocate in school meetings, including IEPs and disciplinary hearings.
- Assessing family and student school needs needs, trauma triggers, antecedents to behavior, and devising plans collaboratively.
- Explaining educational rights and options to families and students.
- Connecting students to resources such as community mental health, Early On, tutoring, credit recovery, etc.
- Assisting families with enrollment, advocacy, referrals and educational needs.
- Maintaining meticulous case notes and records in online databases and clients’ paper files.
- Securing records, including IEP, and health records as needed.
- Coordinating services with DHHS, youth, family, caseworkers and schools.
- Attend Family Court, Case Conferences and Team Decision Making meetings, as needed.
- Provide technical assistance in the form of information, advice and consultation to professionals who contact SAC for advice.
- Provide outreach to schools and community agencies, as needed.
- Assist with grant reporting requirements and billing.
- Other duties as needed.
- Actively support the Student Advocacy Center’s mission and values
- Uphold and ensure appropriate implementation of all agency policies and procedures
- Maintain utmost confidentiality
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter that explains your definition of advocacy, your top advocacy values, and why this position interests you. *Please submit via Indeed.* See www.studentadvocacycenter.org/about-us/employment/ for more information.
Job Type: Full-time