Director of Shelter Operations
December 20, 2017
As part of the IHN at Alpha-house management team, this position is responsible for the day to day running of the shelter function. This position reports to the Executive Director. The Regular shift will span day and afternoon shift (ex. 1pm-9pm). There will be periodic midnight and weekend work. This is a full time position with some benefits.
- Hire, Dismiss, train, evaluate and manage Operation Specialists to create a smooth, respectful and professional shelter operation.
- Ensure all shifts are full on a timely basis by managing an up to date schedule. Fill in when replacement or alternative cannot be found.
- Directly assist and support all staff in family crisis situations or building emergencies. Take control and manage crisis situations as necessary.
- Oversee Operation Specialist to ensure all duties are carried out on a timely and professional basis.
- Prepare timesheets and other documents for the Director of Finance/HR
- Be on call for OS staff members and support the case manager on call system with the Director of Program.
- Participate as a member of the management team for organizational planning, problem solving and service improvement discussions. Bring recommendations and solutions to the management group.
- Track HMIS Shelter Point data entry; run monthly report for DHS/Salvation Army and ensure timely report delivery.
- Oversee maintenance of the building and work with the ED regarding timely repairs. Track and inventory program supplies to ensure sufficient quantities and orderly storage.
- Oversee cleaning as needed and provide for room preparation between residents.
- Arrange for required fire and tornado drills; check fire and safety equipment based on schedule and keep accurate records.
- Arrange client feedback surveys. Record and report on outcome of surveys. Surveys must be done 4X per year.
- Provide for regular family meetings as necessary and during times of stress between families.
- Make sure all families are aware of rights and responsibilities and are allowed to participate in complaint and grievance procedures.
- Maintain a low barrier shelter focused on housing first. Congregate living with a minimum of rules but providing for mutual respect, health and safety of all.
- Work with Director of Program and case management team to resolve behavior issues.
- Support the work of the service team
- Hold OS meetings on a regular basis and interact face to face with staff.
- Accept referrals from HAWC (Housing Access of Washtenaw County)
- Greet and Orient new families when they arrive during your shift.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Human Resources, Social work or equivalent school and/or experience. Shelter work experience is a must. Supervisory experience desired. The successful candidate must have good verbal and written communication skills, Computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point. Must be able to lift 25-50 lbs. and be proficient on searching out resources on the web.
Additionally the person that fills this position must be:
- Able to work as a team member
- Utilize good judgement and clear thinking esp. in a a crisis situation
- Be both assertive and welcoming
- Not easily intimidated but non-threatening in approach to clients
- Be culturally competent, including working with those who have serious mental illnesses, who are suffering from chemical dependency, or who have varying gender identifications or sexual preferences.
- Able to be mindful of personal boundaries, ethical obligations and the primacy of client needs.
- Commitment to economic justice, civil and human rights issues
- Mature in nature and professional in action
- Reliable Transportation a must.
Interested candidates please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org