Peer Support Specialist – Single Adult Services
December 20, 2017
Avalon Housing is a non-profit supportive housing provider created in 1992 as a long-term solution to homelessness. Avalon owns and operates apartments at sites throughout Ann Arbor, manages rent vouchers with private landlords, and partners with both the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti Housing Commission to provide housing alternatives for formerly homeless adults and families throughout Washtenaw County.
The Single Adult Services Team provides outreach, intensive case management, care coordination and housing-based support services to individual households in a supportive housing setting. The individuals served by this position face many challenges including multi morbid conditions, mental illness, substance abuse disorders, and/or chronic medical conditions alongside a history of chronic homelessness.
Utilizing a “Housing First” approach, the Single Adult Services Team works closely with Avalon property managers as well as private landlords and local housing commissions to help tenants achieve housing stability and move beyond homelessness. Services staff also collaborates with community partners to ensure the coordinated delivery of a broad range of services that meet the mental, physical, psycho-social and housing needs of the families either through direct service or linkage to appropriate resources.
The Peer Support Specialist will be responsible for providing additional support to tenants to achieve community inclusion and participation, independence, recovery and resiliency. The Peer Support Specialist is an individual in recovery with a self-identified lived experience and journey in receiving services and supports from mental health, substance use disorder, and/or housing/homeless service providers. The Peer Support Specialist helps tenants regain control over their lives and over their own recovery process, as they define it.
- Provide assertive outreach and engagement to tenants
- Provide extra support and assistance to tenants with accessing and navigating community resources
- Assist and support tenants in maintaining cooperative and effective relationships with their primary service provider and property management
- Coordinate and collaborate with a network of care for tenant, including natural supports, connection to
mutual aid groups, and sponsorship (when appropriate)
- Use experience with personal recovery in assisting and supporting the team and tenants
- Enhance team decision making by assuring tenant voice and choice is included in planning
- Promote recovery through role modeling and sharing experiences, providing hope and encouragement and connection to community
- Participate in planning and implementation of tenant assessment and action plans as needed
- Accompany staff during outreach and engagement to build rapport with service provider
- In coordination with the Community Builder, assist in the coordination of social, educational and recreational activities for tenants, initiate peer- led groups and events for tenants
Avalon Housing is an Equal Opportunities Employer
- Facilitate mutual aid groups for tenants onsite, with an emphasis on options embracing multiple pathways to recovery
- In coordination with the Community Builder, initiate and oversee tenant leadership development
opportunities such as tenant leadership training, speaker series, and/or a tenant council
- Assist tenants in the development of life skills such as resolving interpersonal conflicts in their environment, maintaining housing, developing work skills, safety skills, social skills, receiving and maintaining benefits
- Help tenants aspire to roles which emphasize their strengths by sharing personal experience
- Provide education and support regarding issues affecting population and work to reduce stigma related to those
- Adhere to housing first and harm reduction model of peer advocacy
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings
- Assist tenants as needed with activities of daily living such as transportation, housekeeping, meal preparation, medication, shopping, laundry, or other hands on assistance as needed
- Meet documentation requirements as dictated by program need
Supplemental Job Duties:
- Work with clients in their homes, in community centers, and in the larger community
- Attend staff meetings, retreats and professional training sessions
- Completion of CCAR or other certification training within one year of hire
- Person who has progressed in their own recovery and has minimum one year of addiction recovery who is actively involved in recovery activities
Desired Skills and Abilities
- CCAR Trained or other peer training certification
- Experience with or interest in multiple pathways to recovery
- Basic understanding of homelessness and various characteristics of homeless adult population; experience with the issues of mental illness and/or chemical dependency preferred.
- Knowledge of peer support, community resources, entitlements
- Ability to effectively work with diverse populations in a non-judgmental way
- Ability to recognize appropriate boundaries with clients
- Ability to maintain confidentiality practices
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Must possess a highly positive and enthusiastic attitude and strong commitment toward helping those in need
- Interest and experience in working with individuals who are difficult to engage and refer to traditional programs, subscribe to a philosophy of tolerance and ability to engage with individuals in their current stage of change, expressed knowledge, acceptance, and/or experience with principles of harm reduction
- Ability to work flexible hours as required by programs and staffing needs
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
Avalon Housing is an Equal Opportunities Employer
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required sit for long periods of time, drive a vehicle with passengers, communicate with other persons by talking and hearing, required to lift and carry items weighing up to 25 pounds and to operate computer hardware systems.
A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is required.
Title: Peer Support
Specialist Reports to:Associate Director of Services
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Avalon Housing, Inc., Attn: Personnel
1327 Jones Drive, Suite 102 Ann Arbor MI 48105
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.