SIM Care Coordinator
December 20, 2017
Avalon Housing is a non-profit supportive housing provider created in 1992 as a long-term solution to homelessness. Avalon owns and operates apartments at sites throughout Ann Arbor, manages rent vouchers with private landlords, and partners with both the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti Housing Commission to provide housing alternatives for formerly homeless adults and families throughout Washtenaw County.
Avalon has been selected as a "hublet" for Michigan’s State Innovation Model (SIM). The goal of the SIM is to link healthcare and social services through a clinical-community intervention that addresses the needs of frequent emergency department users. This position will provide care coordination and advocacy to frequent users of the emergency department who are facing issues related to social determinants of health, primarily housing instability.
This is a part-time position (28 hours per week). It is grant funded, and lasts for a two year term, without guaranteed renewal.
- Provide ongoing, active outreach and creative engagement to clients
- Conduct comprehensive assessments and facilitate coordination of community care plans to address unmet needs and achieve goals
- Track and document outcomes of community care plan service goals and referrals
- Work with clients and the community to coordinate eviction prevention efforts and develop housing permanency plans
- Negotiate and advocate with external community resources
- Provide linkage, care coordination, and follow up to clients with accessing needed medical, mental health, substance use, and psychosocial supports
- Provide crisis intervention as needed
- Meet documentation requirements as dictated by program need
- Participate in SIM care coordination meetings
- Facilitate clinical case consultation on behalf of and with clients
- Communicate across hublets related to client needs, trends/patterns related to systemic gaps, and bring forth solutions on behalf of clients to other SIM hublets
Supplemental Job Duties:
- Work with clients in their homes and in the larger community
- Attend staff meetings, retreats and professional training sessions
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in a social or behavioral science or relevant field, or three years of relevant experience
- Experience working with similar populations, including people who are homeless, people with mental illness, chronic health, and/or addiction disorders
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively work with diverse populations in a non-judgmental way
- Capacity to respond to crisis situations
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Ability to recognize appropriate boundaries with clients
- Proven flexibility and creativity
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Must possess a highly positive and enthusiastic attitude and strong commitment toward helping those in need
- Strong organizational skills
- Capacity to respond to crisis situations
- Interest and experience in working with individuals who are difficult to engage and refer to traditional programs, subscribe to a philosophy of tolerance and ability to engage with individuals in their current stage of change, expressed knowledge, acceptance, and/or experience with principles of harm reduction
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with staff from various backgrounds
- Ability to work flexible hours as required by programs and staffing needs including occasional evenings and weekends
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required sit for long periods of time, drive a vehicle with passengers, communicate with other persons by talking and hearing, required to lift and carry items weighing up to 25 pounds and to operate computer hardware systems.
A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is required.
Job Title: SIM Care Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Adult Services. This position and office is based in Ann Arbor MI.
Status: Temporary (two year term), Part-time position, for 28 hours per week
Pay Rate: $20 / hour; this position is not benefits eligible
Schedule: Mon-Thurs 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com or mail to:
Avalon Housing, Inc., Attn: Personnel
1327 Jones Drive, Suite 102
Ann Arbor MI 48105
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Please include the job position title in your email subject line.