Posting: Keep Growing Detroit - Fundraising and Data Specialist
November 22, 2019
1445 Adelaide Street, Detroit, Michigan
$20-$25 per hour based on experience with medical and dental insurance available after 90 days
Flexible work hours, freedom to work from home as needed, 50% discount on Grown in Detroit produce
Hourly employee, 35 hours per week on average, including some evenings and weekends
Area of Focus:
Food Systems, Health, Local Economies, Urban Agriculture
Keep Growing Detroit (KGD) exists to promote a food sovereign city where the majority of fruits and vegetables consumed by Detroiters are grown by residents within the city’s limits. Our strategic approach to achieving our mission facilitates beginner gardeners becoming engaged community leaders and food entrepreneurs, addressing the immediate needs of the community while promoting sustainable change in our food system. To these ends, KGD operates a number of nationally recognized programs including the Garden Resource Program, which supports a network of 1,600 urban gardens and farms in the city and Grown in Detroit, which provides urban growers with very low-barrier opportunities to sell the fruits and vegetables they grow at local market outlets. KGD also operates a 1.5-acre urban farm and teaching facility located in Detroit’s historic Eastern Market District. To remain accountable to the community we serve Keep Growing Detroit practices open book management. That means our entire staff and board are involved in all aspects of day-to-day operations and management, including budgeting and reviewing financial statements on a monthly basis.
Keep Growing Detroit is seeking a full-time Fundraising and Data Specialist to work closely with our Executive Director to raise funds to support our work, manage data, and report to our stakeholders. We are looking for someone that loves to write and is passionate about good food, healthy communities and strong local economies. This staff member will play a key role in grant writing and reporting, prospect research, fundraising events, and cultivation of individual and business donors. They will also support our evaluation and data management efforts including supporting staff with entering data into and retrieving data from our Salesforce database.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Cultivate prospective funders including local and national foundations, individual and business donors, and relevant government agencies
• Draft grant applications and grant reports
• Draft donation receipts, thank you letters, and KGD’s Annual Report
• Assist with the planning and implementation of fundraising events
• Assist with invoicing and collection of passed due receivables
• Assist with technology updates
• Support staff with evaluation and data management efforts including monthly dashboard reporting
• Participate in KGD staff meetings, trainings, and other key citywide events including Garden Resource Program plant distributions
• Passion for Keep Growing Detroit’s mission and work
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Familiarity with and experience using Microsoft Office programs including Excel
• At least 2 years of grant writing and fund development experience – we’re looking for someone that has independently raised at least $500,000 during their career
• Reliable transportation - work-related mileage will be reimbursed
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Experience with CRM database software like Salesforce is helpful but not required
How to Apply:
Please send email of your resume and cover letter to Ashley Atkinson at email@example.com or mail to 1445 Adelaide Street, Detroit, MI 48207. Use the job title as the subject line. Only potential interviewees will be contacted. For more information, please visit our website at www.keepgrowingdetroit.org or call 313-656-4769.
Keep Growing Detroit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.