Posting: School Social Worker
November 25, 2019
LOCATION: Various Locations
WORK YEAR: 2019-2020 School Year
SALARY: Per FEA Contract
- Valid certification as a School Social Worker by Michigan Department of Education
- Master’s degree in Social Work including foundations of behavioral health and successful completion of a school internship/practicum.
- Experience in leading problem solving teams through data based decision-making.
- Experience with training and monitoring the implementation of a variety of evidence-based interventions.
- Experience in administering and interpreting a variety of assessments and using this information to formulate an effective plan of support for students to be successful in the school environment.
- Ability to develop and maintain acceptable relationships with school staff, other professionals, students and parents.
- Ability to clearly, concisely, and appropriately communicate in writing and verbally.
- Ability to meet deadlines and ensure supports and services are provided to students regularly and appropriately.
- Ability to develop appropriate goals, supports, services for students and monitor their effectiveness.
- Skilled in delineating behavioral disorders from social maladjustment and conduct disorder.
- Extensive knowledge of Special Education Law.
- Extensive knowledge and experience identifying students with disabilities.
- START and PBIS training preferred.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Participates as a member of the building support teams to assist all students in making progress.
- Uses data-based decision making to lead a problem solving model in dealing with student behavioral concerns in order to improve academic achievement.
- Consults with principals, staff members and parents/guardians to assist students in making academic and behavioral progress.
- Aligns goals and objectives from the building team process to meet the needs of students.
- Reviews, analyzes and revises implementation plans and interventions.
- Monitors integrity of strategies and plans.
- Utilizes a variety of assessment to determine the need for special education services.
- Conducts Individualized Educational Planning Team meetings and assists in ongoing review of strategies for students to determine their effectiveness of need for updates.
- Completes Crisis Intervention and Prevention training and expertly uses these techniques to de-escalate student’s physical and emotionally aggressive behavior.
- Establish and maintain appropriate boundaries for students and families.
- Successfully conduct ongoing formal and informal training in behavior management for staff, students, and families.
- Ability to work with students of varying degrees of need with diverse backgrounds and characteristics.
- Works as a team member with instructional staff and parents/ guardians to refer eligible students to outside agencies and other community resources.
- Design, monitor, support, and evaluate behavior management plans using Positive Behavior Supports and recommends classroom environment modifications.
- Develop resource materials and tools for staff, students, and families to use in dealing with behavior.
- Consult and collaborate with principals, staff members and families by gathering and giving information on a case for evaluation, consultation, and establishing a plan for respective roles in the modification of a student’s behavior.
- Provide consultation and planning for effective classroom organization, social structures, implementation of effective teaching techniques and development of appropriate educational plans and behavior management programs.
- Skilled in objectively analyze a situation in order to make decisions based solely on the best interest of that child.
- Skilled at working directly with students, families, and staff to help solve problems related to behavior management.
- Participate in all staff meetings and all in-services, as necessary.
- Carry out the special education policies and procedures in all assigned buildings.
- Analysis and Interprets all evaluation and assessment reports orally and written in a meaningful and understandable manner to pertinent personnel such as parents, teachers and administrators.
- Compile and maintain records, written reports, and other documentation for assigned students.
- Follow all confidentiality and ethical guidelines.
- Utilizes a variety of assessments to determine the need for special education services and to help determine appropriate supports and interventions.
- Conducts Individualized Educational Planning Team meetings and assists in ongoing review of strategies for students to ensure their integrity and effectiveness.
- Conducts evaluations for Section 504 / medical plans and develops appropriate supports.
- Recommends or participates in the development of alternative academic and behavior strategies to general education staff, special education staff and parents.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Services and building principal.
- Able to bill for services performed through the county Medicaid system.
Qualified applicants should apply on-line via AppliTrack at