Posting: Michigan Center for Youth Justice Administrative Associate Position Description
January 27, 2020
Michigan Center for Youth Justice (formerly known as the Michigan Council on Crime and Delinquency) is seeking to hire a full-time Administrative Associate to join our team. The function of the Administrative Associate is to oversee general office administration and assist the Operations Manager with development, communications, and program-related activities. We are looking for a dynamic candidate with a Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate and at least two years experience in administrative roles, preferably within a nonprofit setting. A demonstrated interest in juvenile justice reform is highly preferred. MCYJ is a private not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing policies and practices that reduce confinement and support trauma-informed, racially equitable, socio-economically and culturally responsive, community-based solutions for Michigan’s justice-involved children, youth and young adults.
● Manage office communications—field organizational phone calls, emails, and traditional mail
● Schedule and manage staff calendars as needed
● Represent organizational interests in relationships with external associates, including vendors, consultants, and community partners
● Draft letters, reports, tables, forms, and other documents using Microsoft Office and Google applications
● Draft and distribute meeting minutes; maintain records of approved meeting minutes
● Proofread and edit materials for appropriate and consistent format, accuracy of data, correct punctuation, spelling, and grammar
● Manage systems for recording and tracking advocacy campaigns
● Manage systems for tracking membership contacts and donations (i.e., DonorPerfect and related membership communication programs)
● Assist in planning and scheduling staff, board, and committee meetings; including
● Assist in organizing and executing events and trainings
● Maintain office, including filing systems, supplies, and general organization
● Assist with website content and design updates as needed
● Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and at least two years of experience in administrative roles, preferably within a nonprofit setting
● Experience assisting with organizational development, including the use constituent management software
● Knowledge of, or interest in, juvenile justice reform preferred
● Experience working with persons from diverse social and economic backgrounds
DESIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
● Demonstrated skill in working with DonorPerfect is highly desired
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Ability to develop and deliver targeted communications to the media, elected officials and their staff, community leaders, and justice professionals
● Ability to work independently; must demonstrate creativity, flexibility and good humor
● Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a small, collaborative office environment
● Ability to balance and prioritize multi-level tasks and work as a member of a team
● Proficiency in office software and other communication and marketing tools, specifically Microsoft Office and Google, Constant Contact, Canva
● Knowledge of and experience working with social media (Facebook, Twitter, blogs)
● Website maintenance experience is a plus
● This is a full-time, salaried position, with a 90-day probationary period
● Must be available to work Monday through Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm in a small, shared office setting in Ann Arbor
● Schedule will require flexibility to accommodate availability of stakeholders, special events, fundraisers, etc., including evenings and weekends when necessary.
● Must possess a valid driver’s license, cellphone and laptop
● MCYJ provides an annual stipend for employee-owned laptop use
Compensation $40,000 - $42,000 annually. Generous vacation policy and paid time off. Health insurance reimbursement plan available.
Please email your resume and a cover letter to MCYJ’s Operations Manager, Heidi Frankenhauser, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by Friday, January 31st and tell us how you learned about the position. No phone calls, please.
MCYJ is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of race, religion, color, national, social, or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, criminal background, gender identity or expression, height, weight, physical disability, military and veteran status, family or parental status.