Posting: Eco Works - Operations & Development Manager
May 24, 2020
We seek a leader who can work holistically to make the organization stronger by managing our operations smoothly and growing our fundraising and outreach. Because of the dual nature of the role, strong candidates will offer both strong organizational and administrative skills paired with the ability to develop and implement a strategy to raise funds from a variety of donors. Flexibility, a willingness to plug in where needed, and a sense of ownership for project outcomes are essential.
About Us: EcoWorks is a Detroit nonprofit with a 39-year track record of providing services at the intersection of sustainability, social justice, and community development. While EcoWorks’ roots are firmly planted in energy conservation we have grown to emphasize all aspects of sustainable development. At every level, we aim to drive systemic change while remaining grounded in authentic relationships – with individual residents, students, and community leaders. Racial justice and equity are central to our work, both in how we operate internally and how we design and run programs for clients and community.
Our clients range from low-moderate income households and community organizations to businesses and local governments. We have generated savings of more than $50 million for clients in our service area, and have helped secure over $5 million for local governments to invest in sustainability projects.
Today, EcoWorks has a team of 27 FT staff, an annual budget of $2.5 million, and operates three core programs:
Eco-D provides residents and community organizations with resources to achieve healthy, affordable, resilient, and energy secure homes and neighborhoods. Since 2006, we have provided energy and water efficient upgrades and education to over 57,000 low-income clients, resulting in annual savings of 14-20%, or over $49 million collectively. We partner with neighborhood groups, human service agencies, and utilities, continuing to design programs that foster affordable, healthy, and efficient homes for all.
Strategic Community Initiatives, develops custom-fit climate and energy solutions for municipalities, school districts, health systems, small businesses and non-profit organizations. SCI has secured over $5 million in clean energy investments and provided energy management services to over 30 Michigan municipalities.
The Youth Energy Squad grows the next generation of green leaders by engaging young people from diverse backgrounds in hands-on, place-based projects that make their homes, schools and
communities more sustainable for everyone. We work with more than 800 students in 50 school green teams annually, have provided $662,000 in summer stipends and AmeriCorps scholarships to high school students, and saved Detroit Public Schools over $1.6 million in utility costs.
All of these programs are united through Net Zero For All, Starting Today (F.A.S.T.), a regional initiative to eliminate climate pollution while keeping equity and justice front and center.
Operations (35% time)
- Coordinate with offsite accountant and bookkeeper
- Manage organizational files, including non-profit compliance documents, personnel files, and financial documentation
- Support new employee orientation and onboarding
- Process employee benefits enrollments and terminations
- Coordinate with and lead communication with all building vendors
- Support purchasing for EcoWorks staff and operations
- Manage building maintenance and custodial staff
- Manage rental agreements and relationships with tenants
Development (65% time)
- Lead private fundraising and crowdfunding campaigns using multiple platforms
- Coordinate the annual fall fundraiser (EcoWorks Annual Breakfast)
- Cultivate and serve as the point person for corporate and individual donors
- Manage a development database, including prospects, history of donations, and grant reporting schedules
- Support the executive director and program directors in identifying and applying for grants from private foundations and government entities
- Support staff members in growing their fundraising and development skill sets
- Organize and lead strategy sessions around organizational fundraising and development opportunities including but not limited to new funder relationships, fee-for-service work, and/or goal setting
- Support an organizational communications strategy, including earned and social media and e-news for multiple programs
- Fully committed to EcoWorks core values and advancing our mission
- Passionate about improving efficiency, organization, and continuous improvement
- Ability to develop and maintain knowledge management systems
- Adept at working with technology
- Flexible and willing to learn new skills
- Detail oriented and able to manage a variety of projects and tasks so nothing falls through the cracks
- Relevant experience in development and grant writing preferred
- Experience in HR / managing employee benefits is useful
Compensation: $42,000 - $55,000 depending on experience and qualifications. EcoWorks benefits include health, dental, vision, generous time off, and flexible scheduling.
How to Apply: We seek and welcome a diverse pool of applicants (see our Equal Opportunity Employment Policy below). To apply for this position, please send a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and work sample to Justin Schott, firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "OPERATIONS & DEVELOPMENT MANAGER APPLICATION". We would prefer work samples that are brief (1-3 pages) and focus on a project proposal, project description, or a persuasive article. Applications will be taken on a rolling basis; all applications received by June 15th will receive priority review.
Equal Opportunity Employment Policy: EcoWorks has a long-standing record of nondiscrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, weight, gender, sexual orientation or age. All EcoWorks policies, practices and procedures relating to training, development and promotion are administered equally and in accordance with all applicable laws. All employees, interns and volunteers are responsible for complying with these policies, procedures and laws. It is also EcoWorks' policy to give full and fair consideration to applications from disabled persons and to provide appropriate training, development and promotion prospects to persons with disabilities. EcoWorks will regularly monitor these procedures to ensure continued compliance with the Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines.