Posting: Social Work - Family Service Worker
February 22, 2021
Description: Social Work - Family Service Worker - Wayne County & Surrounding Areas
Location: US-MI-Oak Park
Job ID: 2021-6012
Category: Social Work/Counseling
Schedule: Monday - Friday, Including availability for emergencies and special needs, some nights, weekends and holidays.
Provide intensive home-based family intervention, life skills education, and supportive services in order to preserve families, reduce the need for out of home placement, expedite the return of children to their families, and prevent the recurrence of abuse and neglect. Carries a caseload of two (2) families. Responsible for: regular visits with the family in their home or community for a period of 28 days, and not more than 42 days; performing required assessments; writing and submitting service plans, safety plans and progress reports; providing concrete assistance and referrals based on the individual needs of each family. Works a flexible schedule (including non-traditional hours) based on families’ needs.
- Adheres to the Families First model of service (strength-based, non-deficit approach).
- Provide and assist families in obtaining concrete services, such as housing, transportation, home cleaning, maintenance and repair, etc.
- Provide skills training including but not limited to, parenting, self-advocacy, self-sufficiency, and communication.
- Provide short term counseling and crisis intervention for families.
- Make collateral contacts to: arrange outpatient counseling or medical care; address educational needs; assist with utility needs; resolve housing issues with landlords, shelters or potential housing programs; and to connect families work with community resources.
- Conduct behaviorally specific, interactive, and holistic assessments of the family. The assessment process includes, but is not limited to: an assessment of safety and family functioning, assessment of family strengths and needs, identifying family resources and their informal/formal supports, exploring family values and beliefs.
- Prepare documentation (service plans, progress reports, termination summaries, goal sheets, weekly plans, time reports, letters, etc.) within the appropriate time frames.
- Prepare and present each case for termination conference with contractor, recommending follow-up services.
- Provide twenty-four (24) hour availability to clients and a flexible work schedule based upon the needs of the family.
- Maintain face to face contact with families according to the contract defined frequency and the individual needs of each family.
- Maintain weekly contact, or more as needed, with referring workers.
- Complete follow-up evaluations of families at 3, 6 and 12 months in the specified time frame.
- Transport clients in your own vehicle.
Graduate degree in social work, psychology, counseling, or closely related field.
Bachelor’s degree in the field of human services is required, preferably in social work, psychology or a related field and at least two years’ experience working with children and families.
Field experience working with children and families with multiple problems and the overall ability to relate to and engage with these families is vital.
**Wellspring Lutheran Services, Family Services, Human Services, Social Work, Supervisor, Oak Park, Wayne County, Metro Detroit**
Preferred contact phone number: