Posting: The Blood Cancer Foundation of Michigan - Patient Support Specialist- Part-Time
March 17, 2021
Reports To: Director of Patient Support
Location: Farmington Hills
Deliver The Blood Cancer Foundation of Michigan’s adult and pediatric program services to patients and families affected by blood cancers and living in the state of Michigan.
Ongoing Program Maintenance and Delivery:
- Establish, coordinate and execute care plans through direct services to BCFM patients and families including case management, emotional support, financial assistance, information & referral services.
- Coordinate and provide ongoing services for enrolled patients/families including identification, evaluation and referral of appropriate information and resources to meet the individualized needs of each patient and family, as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain periodic telephone communications with patients and their families.
- Maintain client and service records, files, statistics, and other documents necessary to accurately account for the services provided to patients and families.
- Coordinate Financial Assistance services including Patient Reimbursement Fund and Special Needs Grants.
- Advocate for patients and families with third party agencies.
- Support and Maintain Patient Support Programs and Team: Implement and support Patient Support Programs. Address specific functions of the Patient Support Department. Assist the Director of Patient Support with planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Patient Support programs.
- Enter client data and upkeep reporting functions necessary to maintain client and program records in electronic database; and to report and evaluate the services of the Patient Support Department.
- Maintain and continuously update the agency’s referral resources.
- Participate in Patient Support program planning and evaluation functions.
- Support projects or ongoing functions (such as the Patient Support Committee, reports for the Board, staff or department meetings, etc.) to monitor and oversee Patient Support programs.
- Organize and/or assist in organizing and implementing selected projects and activities such as Holiday Toys, event tickets, parties, picnics, and other activities and projects.
- Answer main office phone line when requested.
- Retrieve mail and provide support to administrative functions, as needed.
BCFM believes in building a strong culture of support for our patients, volunteers and team members.
- Become an active member of the PS team to ensure program excellence, as well as the overall BCFM team, to ensure the advancement of mission.
- Engage in and foster positive and helpful interactions within the PS team and in interactions among cross department teams to ensure consistency of communication flow.
Supporting functions expected of all BCFM employees that increase or enhance cooperation within, and the overall effectiveness of, the staff and agency:
- Meet basic BCFM behavior standards, including professionalism, appropriate dress, relationship building, use of work time and cooperative teamwork.
- Maintain a consistent and punctual work schedule and keep the office informed regarding your work day schedule and availability for colleagues and others needing to connect with you by posting in-office, offsite meetings and PTO on BCFM calendar on Outlook.
- Follow all PTO procedures for requested time off, with submission of request at least two weeks in advance. PTO approval is dependent upon office coverage and event scheduling. See the employee handbook for details.
- Log and submit time sheets, expense and mileage reports and other appropriate forms/reports for approval in accordance with the agency’s reporting and accounting requirements.
- Participate or otherwise support staff wide functions, projects or initiatives such as staff meetings, team building, planning, recognition, celebrations, etc.
- Set an example for staff and volunteer colleagues that reflects positively on BCFM’s brand, values, principles, culture and goals.
- Prepare and present periodic updates and/or written reports at prescheduled staff and departmental meetings covering your areas of responsibility.
- Participate in the annual budget planning for your areas of responsibility and meet or exceed approved budget goals and control of expenses.
- Provide year-to-date analysis of budget and expenses as applicable for your areas of responsible as requested by your supervisor or the President.
- Support other departments as requested/needed including evening and weekend work as required.
- Travel within the state of Michigan as requested.
- Other tasks as assigned by the President.
- Education: Master’s Degree in social work or related field.
- Experience: One to three years of social work based experiences in a human services agency.
- Able to work a regular, part-time schedule during work week. Work time will be comprised of both in-office and remote work.
- Open to working additional or alternative hours when program workload warrants in the judgement of Patient Support Director.