Posting: Counselor/Community Advocate - LGBT Detroit
March 31, 2021
Job Title: Counselor/ Community Advocate
Hours/week: Full Time
Provide crisis counseling, trauma-informed services, advocacy, information, resources and support to gender and sexual minority survivors of sexual assault, intimate partner/ domestic violence, hate crimes, through individual, group, and telephone sessions. Advocate for and assist clients with referrals to partner agencies when relevant. Conduct outreach, maintain accurate client demographics, service statistics, and case examples for reporting purposes. Represent agency in various community settings. Comply with all grant and agency reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with each client to determine their strengths, challenges and goals. Provide appropriate referrals and resources.
- Facilitate support groups as needed.
- Document all services provided for, with or on behalf of clients.
- Assist in the training, support and supervision of program volunteers.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
- Abide by confidentiality policy at all times.
- Report any knowledge or suspicion of child abuse and/or neglect.
- Assist the Program Coordinator with program development as necessary
Minimum Credentials and Experience:
Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university with a major in social work or a related human service field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's Degree in social work, knowledge of theoretical applications for crime victim survivors and two years postgraduate experience or a related field highly preferred. Full licensure a plus. Applicants must have demonstrated experience working with racial, sexual and gender minority clients.
Ability to maintain a flexible schedule; Valid MI drivers license, current auto insurance, criminal background check, sex offender registry check, Department of Human Services clearance, have and maintain excellent driving record, and reliable transportation required.
*Ability to lift 30 pounds on occasion preferred but not required
*Bilingual a plus. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Kali Stanton, MSW
LGBT Detroit, Healing & Support Services Program Coordinator
phone number: (313) 397-2127