Posting: Michigan Humane Society
August 23, 2021
Job Title: Community Solutions Manager
Location/Department: Volunteer Services
Reports to: Community Solutions Director
The Community Solutions Manager maintains Michigan Humane programs dedicated to keeping families together. Direct day-to-day oversight of Pet Pantry, Pets for Life community outreach, Safety Net foster program, and management of human and animal welfare services relationships are critical aspects of this position. Exhibits strong customer service focus with an emphasis on empathy & compassion. Committed to educating and providing resources to families we serve, building a more humane community.
• Develop new programs and launch initiatives to keep animals in homes and continue decreasing animal surrender in Detroit & surrounding areas.
• Develop, communicate and enforce policies, procedures and best practices for engaging successfully with all members of our community, including pet pantry clients & pets for life neighbors.
• Serve as the primary contact for human service partners once relationship is successfully established by leadership and/or Director of program.
• Work with Director to continue education efforts, both internal and external, on best practices for successful pet ownership, regardless of income status or lifestyle choices.
• Solicit and respond to regular feedback on resources provided, including emerging or unexpected needs and areas for improvement.
• Work closely with other Michigan Humane departments to ensure excellent customer service for all, both human and animal clients, in need of support.
• Manage the department staff including hiring, training and direct supervision. Work with Director to prepare annual department goals and budget; prepare monthly management reports.
• Develop methods for collecting and sharing information about community work being done, including impact metrics, implementation successes and challenges, and examples of innovation and best practice.
• Oversee and support the use of volunteers in all avenues of work being performed by the department.
• Ability to set priorities, take initiative, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
• Demonstrated understanding of working with low income populations
• Solid organizational, project management, leadership and people skills
• Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills
• Possess business acumen including program development, implementation and management
• Ability to consistently adhere to prescribed protocols
• Bachelor’s degree in social or nonprofit management or a related field of study preferred
• MSW preferred, willing to consider experience in lieu of degree.
• A minimum of 3-5 years working for in human service space is preferred.
• Experience doing community outreach including door to door, community organizing, and engagement.
• Prior experience in a public speaking role is desirable
• Microsoft Office proficiency and intermediate computer skills are required