Posting: Hazel Park Schools - School Social Worker
January 5, 2022
Hazel Park is seeking applicants for the position(s) of School Social Worker, for the 2021/2022 school year. The district is
served by caring and professional teaching and other staff who provide instruction and support to approximately 3,600
students. The Hazel Park community is proud and supportive of its schools, the staff and student population.
The successful candidate for this position will be an honest, approachable communicator, who is student-centered in his or
her approach. This position involves carrying an active, direct service caseload of students with IEP’s attending a
center-based day treatment school. The person in this position will also be part of the multidisciplinary assessment team
that will conduct initial and/or 3-year multidisciplinary evaluations that address the affective/behavioral/social domains.
Additional core competencies would include exceptional planning, decision and problem solving skills, well-developed
therapeutic techniques, initiative and persistence, dependability, enthusiasm, and an individual that can work with others in a
multidisciplinary team environment.
● Master’s degree with eligibility for full approval as School Social Worker in Michigan (pending one year of
satisfactory work performance) with experience serving students with a variety of disabilities.
● Must have strong assessment background preferably experience with AIMSWEB, NWEA Map Testing, SAT, PSAT,
MStep and MiAccess.
● The ability to independently and accurately implement the requirements of IDEA and Michigan’s Special Education
Rules, including the MET/IEP process, timelines, and eligibility criteria.
● The ability to develop trusting relationships, and manage multiple priorities while meeting deadlines.
● Skill in assessment and the ability to use this skill to participate in differential diagnosis of disabilities, as well as
solid clinical skills which include the ability to provide personalized interventions, based on sound clinical judgment
in individual or group situations.
● Knowledge and/or understanding in consistent use of data to monitor student growth, inform instruction and develop
● Experience and/or knowledge of Common Core Standards, Positive Behavioral Intervention and Support
● Systems, Technology Integration, and individualized programming options for students.
● Superior communication skills in writing and speaking with all levels of administration and staff.
● Skill in a variety of flexible behavior management strategies appropriate for use with students with various
disabilities. This should include the ability to provide leadership in functional behavior assessment and the
development of individual behavior support plans.
● The ability to work with families and facilitate cooperation with community agencies/resources in order to meet the
needs of students in the educational setting.
● A willingness to be an advocate for the unique needs of students with disabilities while working cooperatively with
special education team members.
● Applicants must be able to show proof of a satisfactory criminal background check as defined by state standards. RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Accepts responsibility for the successful implementation of the school’s education and behavior program and for the achievement success of students.
● Responsible for planning, organizing and implementing various school assessments including but not limited to AIMSWEB Progress monitoring, SAT, PSAT, MStep, MiAccess, NWEA MAP.
● Responsible for assessment data collection, sharing out with building staff and assisting staff with classroom interventions.
● Creates, monitors and maintains compliance with Individual Education Programs (IEP’s) and Behavioral Intervention Plans.
● Accepts responsibility for keeping files and program activities in compliance with State and Federal special education laws and regulations.
● Demonstrates genuine concern for students in a climate characterized by high personal and student expectations.
● Helps support a school culture based on the principles of firm, fair and consistent practices and respect for individual students.
● Uses technology effectively for data driven instruction, communication, record keeping and other administrative tasks.
● Maintains open and frequent communication with the building supervisor.
● Other Duties as assigned by the building supervisor.
Post Date: January 4, 2022
Start Date: 2021/2022 School Year
Reports To: Building Principal
Application Deadline: When Filled
All interested applicants need to complete the employment application.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Hazel Park School District is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color,
age, sex national origin, religion, citizenship, handicap, height, weight, marital status. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the
American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties may be performed by the individuals
currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned