Posting: Housing Placement Counselor
April 29, 2022
United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) housing counselors work under the guidance of the Director of Housing Placement and Rental Assistance and work with other team members to find safe, affordable housing for Detroit residents who are facing housing instability and are at risk of homelessness due to changes in their circumstances. The counselors will assist clients who are working with the UCHC legal team and those who may be referred by community partners.
- Completing household intakes and assessing clients’ housing needs
- Assisting clients with obtaining documents needed to meet program requirements
- Providing appropriate housing lists to clients who meet the household size and financial requirements
- Assisting with coordination of supportive services and identifying gaps and needs at the program level
- Maintaining an inventory of program resources
- Working collaboratively with internal and external partners
- Participating in all team and staff meetings
- Participating in program and operational planning, as needed
- Maintaining all required documentation in an orderly and timely manner
- Developing working relationships with landlords and management companies to gain access to the best safe and affordable housing list
The successful candidate will believe in UCHC’s mission and demonstrate a passion for housing justice.
They will also have:
- Related experience to housing placement or advocacy
- An associate’s or undergraduate degree or high school diploma preferred
- Knowledge of the Detroit housing market and community resources
- Good communication skills and the ability to work effectively with clients and community partners
- The ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries
- The ability to solve practical problems and cope with a variety of concrete variables that reflect client needs and capacity
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle will be useful for this position.
- The housing placement counselor may need to enter properties that do not yet comply with ADA accessibility standards. Accommodations can be made to enable the selected candidate to perform the essential functions of this position.
- This is a full-time position.
- Salary is commensurate with experience. UCHC offers generous medical benefits and time off
- Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule of both in-office and work-from-home conditions
- Schedule: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. or 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday–Friday, occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Accommodations can be made to enable the selected candidate to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Expected start date: Applications are now being accepted and reviewed.
- All candidates should be fully vaccinated or tested once a week for COVID-19.
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, and group life
- Generous PTO program
- Generous holiday program
- A focus on work/life balance
The United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) is a nonprofit comprehensive housing assistance organization that has provided a variety of housing-related services to Detroit's lowincome residents since 1973. UCHC has worked with tenants, homesteaders, homeowners, the homeless, community organizations rebuilding neighborhoods and providing affordable housing, religious, civil rights, labor, and housing advocacy organization to improve, preserve and expand affordable housing opportunities for low-income Detroiters. Because of its long history and significant expertise as a comprehensive housing services provider in Michigan, UCHC is frequently asked to provide advice to other organizations in communities across southeast Michigan. All services are provided to income-eligible families and individuals free of charge. United Community Housing Coalition 2727 Second Ave, Suite 313, Detroit, MI 48201 313-963-3310 | www.uchcdetroit.org The United Community Housing Coalition provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, United Community Housing Coalition complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, and termination. Consistent with state and federal laws, UCHC is committed to maintaining a workplace free from the abuse of drugs and alcohol.