Posting: Michigan Supreme Court State Court Administrative Office - Friend of the Court Bureau - Clerk Position
August 15, 2022
STATE COURT ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE- FRIEND OF THE COURT BUREAU (FOCB) CLERK POSITION
Reports to: FOCB Management Analyst
Pay Range: $12.48 per hour
Status: At Will Employee
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Time Commitment: Minimum 12-25 hours/week for minimum 9 months
Provide consistent information and assistance to members of the public who contact the Friend of the Court Bureau.
The Friend of the Court Bureau (FOCB) was established to provide circuit courts across the state with management assistance in operating local friend of the court (FOC) offices, including development of local policies and procedures.
The primary functions of the FOCB are to:
- Facilitate development of local policies and procedures
- Establish and implement child support policy and guidelines
- Develop and publish information pamphlets for public use
- Collect and analyze data regarding friend of the court operations
- Provide training
- Work with the Office of Child Support in the Department of Health and Human Services to analyze federal and state legislation and to establish policy.
ESSENTIAL POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide consistent and accurate information to telephone, correspondence and e-mail inquiries from the public and FOC offices statewide.
- Assist in the development of public service information distributed statewide.
- Write articles for FOCB newsletter, The Pundit, which is quarterly distributed to all FOC offices and posted on the FOCB Website for 3 years.
- Assist as directed in the FOCB process for compiling and reviewing grievances as part of statutory requirements.
- Assist in research tasks to provide accurate responses to customer service inquiries.
- Assist in policy research tasks as assigned by FOCB staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work remote including access to Wi-Fi.
- Ability to work a hybrid in-person/ remote schedule.
QUALIFICATIONS EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Enrollment in law school or accredited graduate program preferred, with first semester classes complete. Applicants who have less than 2 terms of classes before graduation will not be considered.
- Classes and demonstrated interest in family issues or public policy preferred.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Ability to enter and access information from a computer.
- Ability to perform light filing tasks.
Please submit the following materials via email to Poetzl@courts.mi.gov.
- Cover letter indicating interest in family law
- Writing sample, no more than 10 pages Interviews will be held on Zoom.
All candidates receiving interviews will be contacted to schedule an interview appointment.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description.
The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria.
FOCB Clerk Friend of the Court Bureau State Court Administrative Office
Michigan Supreme Court State Court Administrative Office
Friend of the Court Bureau
Michigan Hall of Justice
P.O. Box 30048
Lansing, Michigan 48909
Phone (517) 373-5975
Steven D. Capps