Posting: Intake Specialist
October 13, 2022
About Community Housing Network
Community Housing Network (CHN) is a nonprofit organization committed to providing homes for people in need through proven strategies of homeless prevention, housing assistance, affordable housing development, community education, advocacy, and referrals. Since 2001, CHN has served as the leading housing resource nonprofit organization in southeast Michigan and serves thousands of families and individuals annually who are facing homelessness, people with disabilities, low-income households, and other vulnerable Michigan residents.
Community Housing Network is Opening Doors and Transforming Lives through a work environment dedicated to empowering a work/life balance success through our Core Values: Inclusion, Integrity, Innovation and Passion.
CHN is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness which includes:
- Creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace to provide better services for participants and staff.
- Utilizing a trauma informed approach to build rapport with vulnerable populations.
- Making available educational resources related to diversity, equity, and inclusion, all the while providing a platform for conversation.
Community Housing Network provides excellent employment opportunities with competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefit package. All full-time employees enjoy a rich package of benefits including:
- Health Insurance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Products: Aflac, Short Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance
- Generous Vacation and Medical Leave Time
Community Housing Network is an equal-opportunity employer recognized by the Detroit Free Press as a Top 100 Workplace and honored as a Crain’s Cool Place to Work.
Department: Housing Program
Reports to: Housing Program Manager
Employment Status Classification: Full Time - Exempt
Salary Range: $40,000
Job Description Summary:
The Intake Specialist is a key member of Community Housing Network’s Housing Programs team. The position is responsible for filling vacant Permanent Supportive Housing slots with eligible program participants.
- Make contact with new referrals (potential program participants) to discuss Permanent Supportive Housing program and screen for eligibility.
- Create and maintain potential program participants electronic case files (paper files when needed).
- Meet with potential program participants (and Case Managers, when applicable) to interview and complete the program application.
- Coordinate with community partners and other CHN departments to obtain documents and verifications needed for potential program participant applications.
- Represent CHN/the department at community events such as resource fairs and landlord networking events.
- Complete data entry in Homeless Management Information System (HMIS)/ServicePoint; document case updates within 24 hours.
- Mail Acceptance Packets to newly-approved potential program participants within 1 business day of application approval.
- Discuss the various housing program options (such as Housing Choice Voucher, Permanent Supportive Housing, Rapid Re-Housing) with potential program participants.
- Follow the Coordinated Entry procedures in all 3 counties (Macomb, Oakland and out-Wayne) and represent CHN at related committee meetings and weekly/monthly referral meetings, as appropriate.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience preferred of conducting intakes, working with people who are homeless, working with people who have a mental illness
- Bachelors Degree in Human Services preferred
- Must be computer proficient
- Must have the ability to be a personal representative of CHN’s Core Values: Inclusion, Integrity, Innovation, Passion
- Must complete regular trainings required by CHN/funders including, but not limited to: Recipient Rights, CPR/First Aid, Cultural Competence, Fair Housing, English as Second Language (ESL), HMIS Privacy
- Transportation Requirements:
- Valid Driver’s License
- Personal automobile coverage limits minimum: Bodily Injury $100,00 each person; $300,000 each occurrence Property Damage $100,000 each occurrence
Travel required within the communities served, Oakland and Macomb County.
Community Housing Network reserves the right to require a motor vehicle record check with respect to any employee where driving is an essential function of the position.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Primary functions of this job require travelling to community partner locations, shelters, community spaces, and meeting participants in the field.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
To Apply: Click Here: