Posting: Foster Care Case Manager Specialist - Hands Across The Water, Ann Arbor MI
January 24, 2023
Foster Care Case Manager Specialist
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $45,070 per year
Ann Arbor, MI • Foster Care, Child Welfare
Hands Across The Water is committed to making proactive efforts to recruit and retain personnel who reflect the diverse identities and experiences of the communities and families we serve. We strongly encourage the following groups to apply: people of color, individuals who have experienced poverty or economic hardship, people who identify as LGBTQ and those with lived experience in the foster care system or adoption triad.
Hands Across The Water does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, or a matter directly or indirectly related to employment, because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, political beliefs or mental or physical disability.
Join a dynamic, fast-paced, inclusive and supportive workplace focused on high quality services to children and families in our community.
Hands Across The Water is a licensed, non-profit child placing agency. Our Foster Care Program provides a temporary home for children until a more permanent placement can be secured.
The primary responsibilities of the Foster Care Specialist position is to provide services to ensure that biological parents and foster parents are given the tools and resources to meet the educational, physical and emotional needs of the child.
Case management services are goal-oriented and time-limited. The goals are to ensure the safety and well-being of the child while developing and monitoring a service plan for the child’s parent(s), reporting and making recommendations to the court regarding a permanency plan for each child.
This position requires significant travel including in-office, in-home, and outside of office work, often during non-traditional hours such as evenings and weekends, depending on case needs.
The appropriate candidate will work with other dedicated professionals in a team atmosphere and have the ability to work independently.
Attention to detail, strong organization skills, and professional manner are all important characteristics for the right candidate.
This is full-time position. Schedules need to be flexible to accommodate duties, children, families, and court, including a 9 week long preliminary training. This is not a 9-5 job and requires periodic on-call duties.
This position is based in our Washtenaw office but there will be work in multiple counties including Wayne, Monroe, Livingston and Lenawee counties.
- Minimum degree REQUIRED is a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Criminal Justice, Child Development, Human Services, Family Studies, Education, Gerontology, Forensic Psychology, Social Science or related field.
- The Foster Care Specialist candidate should demonstrate a commitment to the safety and well-being of children and families with the primary goal of ensuring that families have the tools and services needed to achieve reunification.
- Knowledge of available community resource for, and comfort working with, individuals facing challenges associated with substance abuse, mental health, cognitive/developmental disabilities, domestic violence, poverty, homelessness and trauma is required.
- Experience in a professional setting with youth and families strongly preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, professionalism, organizational skills and comfort with computer technology/database entry is required.
- Appropriate candidate for this position must have the ability to handle stress well, have the ability to be an active listener with good clinical observation and evaluation skills, be flexible and able to handle change, be a team player yet able to work independently, able to multi-task, and maintain case responsibility and follow-through with multiple competing demands.
- Candidate may not have been convicted of child abuse or neglect, a felony involving harm or threatened harm to an individual within the 10 years immediately preceding the date of hire, or be listed on the central registry as a perpetrator of child abuse or child neglect.
- The Adoption Specialist shall possess a valid Driver’s License, positive driving record and proof of automobile insurance.
- Experience in foster care case management highly desirable, but not required. Candidate with CWTI foster care training to receive a signing bonus.
COVID-19 vaccine and booster are mandatory
Please submit resume WITH cover letter detailing why you are interested in this position to email@example.com.