Posting: AmeriCorps Service Members - FoodCorps Michigan
February 28, 2023
What is FoodCorps?
FoodCorps is a non-profit where we partner with schools and communities to nourish kids’ health, education, and sense of belonging.
What You'll Do
With FoodCorps you’ll spend a year teaching kids about food in gardens, cafeterias, and classrooms. You’ll earn a stipend, professional development resources, and plenty of other benefits. Best of all, you’ll build connections with a network of passionate school food champions.
Your service year is a full-time, eleven-month commitment from August 2023 to July 2024. You can choose one of two tracks:
- You’ll work alongside educators to teach kids about food in gardens, classrooms, and cafeterias.
- You’ll work alongside school nutrition leaders to procure and promote nourishing school meals.
What are the Benefits?
- $33,000 for the full 11-month term
Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- An award of $6,895, available after completion of your service term, for repaying qualified student loans and paying current educational expenses at eligible institutions of higher education and training programs
- Health, dental, and vision coverage
- A year’s worth of trainings—and a passionate community of peers—to prepare you for a career in food education, school nutrition, policy, or another relevant field
We have been partnering with the Detroit Public Schools Community District’s (DPSCD) Office of School Nutrition since 2014.
FoodCorps Service Members at DPSCD join a cohort who work together providing programming at the district farm (Drew Farm), preparing and promoting items for taste tests in the cafeterias, providing garden-based professional development for teachers, and supporting community events and programs at Drew Farm.
School Nutrition Service Members work closely with the Office of School Nutrition staff to focus efforts on broader district initiatives around school meals, and Food Educators spend most of their time at their two assigned schools, but all Service Members work together as a team for programming and events at Drew Farm.
Applicants who are friendly, like working as a team, have a positive attitude, have a flexible and adaptable nature, and an interest in learning more about the local food system in Detroit will thrive at DPSCD.
Here is the link with more details and to apply: https://foodcorps.org/apply/
Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
Applications are open through March 27, 2023.