Posting: Associate Director, Office of Health Research at Wayne State University
April 18, 2023
Wayne State University is searching for an experienced Associate Director, Office of Health Research at its Detroit campus location.
Wayne State is a premier, public, urban research university located in the heart of Detroit, Michigan where students from all backgrounds are offered a rich, high-quality education. Our deep-rooted commitment to excellence, collaboration, integrity, diversity and inclusion creates exceptional educational opportunities which prepare students for success in a global society.
Essential functions (job duties):
Position reports to the Associate Dean of Research for the College of Nursing. In conjunction with the Principal Investigators, the Associate Director provides leadership in the planning, direction, and coordination of all aspects of research projects in order to improve the grant and research activities and increase external funding in the College of Nursing.
Assist in the conceptual development and preparation of grant proposals (including outlines of the proposal and intensive reviews of draft specific aims) and manuscripts for publication. Assist in the development of the Principal Investigator's overall research programs to increase external funding.
Provide methodological and statistical support for faculty research. This will include assistance in research design for grant proposals and write-up of research design in manuscripts; assistance with data analysis and statistical power sections of grant proposals and manuscripts; assistance in choice of data analysis methods and running and writing up statistical analyses for research studies, pilot studies, and manuscripts.
Oversee and coordinate all aspect of research administration. Assist investigators with revising work plans as needed to meet changing needs and requirements of projects, design workflows and procedures and prepare financial reports and budgets for research projects. Supervise administrative staff supporting the Research team (hire, delegate duties, evaluate, discipline, etc.)
Prepare and engage in written reviews including mock study section reviews with faculty. Create and execute research project work plans. Cultivate collaborative research arrangements with the Human Investigation Committee (HIC), Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA) and Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR). Assist research team throughout project duration.
Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum education:
- PhD in Nursing or clinical, behavioral or biological sciences.
- Minimum experience:
- Knowledge of national funding mechanisms and trends relevant to nursing and health science research.
- 5 years or more of experience in research or research administration position desirable, not required.
- Experience conducting health-related research.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS:
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing, in a clear, concise, clinical, and professional manner.
- Must possess the ability to persuade and influence others and present narrative description of numerical data effectively.
- PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS:
- Works well in group problem solving situations and ability to develop alternative approaches and ideas.
- Ability to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Ability to change approach or method to best fit the situation and reacts well under pressure.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING SKILLS:
- Prioritizes and plans work activities; adapts for changing conditions and communicates changes and progress.
- Ability to work independently towards growth initiatives.
- TEAM BUILDING:
- Ability to foster teamwork in environment with increasing research investigators, as well as in collaborations across diverse constituencies.
- Ability to inspire confidence and motivate groups to collectively meet common objectives.
- BUSINESS ACUMEN:
- Understands objectives and mission of various research projects, looks for creative ways to improve process and quality and able to work within deadlines.
- Familiarity with budgets and financial data skills.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT:
- Strong project management skills and knowledge of project management software is desirable.
- ANALYTICAL SKILLS:
- Ability to evaluate, interpret and present complex information effectively in professionally prepared documentations or presentations.
- Must possess and demonstrate attention to detail in order to achieve a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong knowledge of research methods and statistical analysis.
- Skills in using SPSS or SAS, conducting multi-level/mixed model analyses, and in conducting Structural Equation Modeling within AMOS, MPLUS, or R.
H15 - College of Nursing
H1501 - Deans Office Nursing
Job type: Full Time
Job category: Staff/Administrative
Compensation type: Annual Salary
Normal office environment.
Number of openings: 1
Reposted position: No
Reposted reason: None (New Requisition)
Background check requirements:
University policy requires certain persons who are offered employment to undergo a background check, including a criminal history check, before starting work. If you are offered employment, the university will inform you if a background check is required.
Equal employment opportunity statement:
Wayne State University provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. The university encourages applications from women, people of color and other underrepresented people. Wayne State is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.