Posting: Social Worker - City of Detroit
April 20, 2023
Position: Social Worker
Position # 20230241202148TC
Description: Under general supervision, performs professional social work and maintains case records.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (may perform other duties as assigned)
- Conducts social work, study and treatment of individual cases of social malfunction, maladaptive behavior, family conflict, victimization and difficulties in meeting community and institutional requirements.
- Interviews clients and, when appropriate, families, associates and other agencies.
- Develops case history of clients.
- Develops and implements individual treatment plans.
- Determines eligibility and suitability for group therapy.
- Plans and conducts group therapy sessions.
- Promotes individual and group action towards individual growth and socially desirable goals.
- Encourages group dynamics towards therapeutic relationships.
- Assists community groups in developing community leadership and solving community problems.
- Investigates problems and develops proposals for social action.
- Maintains appropriate client, case and public records.
- Assists in training and provides consultation to other employees engaged in social service work.
- Provides instruction and guidance to a variety of individuals in personal and group settings.
- Makes presentations on proposals for social action.
- Master of Social Work degree
- One (1) year of experience in social work in a recognized agency which includes responsibility for decisions regarding handling of individual client social problems.
Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted to meet the education and experience requirements of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and methods of social work.
- Knowledge of legal requirements governing public social work.
- Knowledge of work of public and private social agencies.
- Skill in tactful and effective oral and interpersonal communication with clients, client associates, community organizations, human services agencies, and citizens.
- Skill in operating personal computers and common office software.
- Skill in crisis intervention.
- Ability to diagnose social cases.
- Ability to plan and execute treatment and secure client cooperation.
- Ability to perform crisis intervention.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with community organizations and human services agencies.
- Ability to work effectively under deadline pressure.
Licenses, Certifications, and Other Special Requirements:
- Employees in this class must have and maintain registration as a Licensed Social Worker with the State of Michigan.
- Employees in this class may be required to provide and operate a motor vehicle on a reimbursed mileage basis; valid State of Michigan Operator License is required.
- Candidates considered for placement in this clasification may be subject to a Criminal Background Investigaion base on the requirements of the position.
The employee generally engages in light physical activity to work in the field with person to person contact and some stationay work in a office environment. The employee is expected to move about to accomplish tasks. Must be able to lift, push, pull, and carry up to 20 pounds.
Work is performed primarily in indorr and outdoor environments (e.g. home visits, office, care center, clinic, etc.). Some work requires to travel to meetings, conferences, and other work sites with exposure to seasonal weather conditions.
The above statements reflect the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this class. Incumbents may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Essential duties may vary from position to position.