Posting: Community Engagement Specialist - Michigan League for Public Policy
May 11, 2023
Community Engagement Specialist
Detroit, Michigan League for Public Policy
The League is a statewide advocacy organization dedicated to building equity and opportunity for all in Michigan through the policy making process.
The community engagement team works in local communities to help connect the dots between policy decisions and everyday life. This is achieved through relationship building with people and organizations.
The League seeks to hire a Community Engagement Specialist with strong public speaking, relationship building and organizing skills and the ability to communicate sometimes complex information effectively to diverse audiences, working primarily in Metro Detroit.
This position reports to the Community Engagement Director.
- Developing and presenting workshops and trainings on the League’s priority areas
- Representing the League at meetings with partners and policymakers
- Building relationships with organizations and people to achieve desired policy results.
The community engagement specialist is a conduit of information and support for our community partners, and willingness to reach out to staff analysts to understand League priority areas is essential.
An estimate on how the community engagement specialist’s time will be spent is:
- 30% meeting with partners and delivering presentations
- 30% building relationships
- 30% designing training opportunities and materials
- 10% reporting the quality and quantity of work.
While no candidate will have every quality, the ideal candidate would have:
- Deep commitment to justice and equity and to improving the lives of Michiganders using policy change.
- Relevant educational experience (Bachelor’s degree preferred or other education in combination with relevant work experience).
- Outstanding communications skills, including ability to communicate complex issues to broad audiences.
- An understanding of the importance of developing trust to build relationships.
- Knowledge or curiosity to learn the Michigan legislative/budget process and policy issues impacting communities.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently, but also able to collaborate and work as part of a team and with diverse partners.
- Value a culture of diversity and inclusion. Involvement with grassroots organizing preferred.
- Experience in the Metro Detroit area is mandatory.
Position involves travel throughout the state of Michigan, but primarily in Metro Detroit.
Reliable transportation required.
Position is grant funded and full-time.
The organization’s office is in Lansing.
This is a hybrid position, with the person spending the majority of time in the Detroit community, either virtually or in-person, and may require one day a week in Lansing. There is one staff meeting in Lansing a month.
Salary range: $57,000-$65,000 plus benefits.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but applications will be reviewed on May 26, 2023.