Posting: Community Advocate - The Coalition for Property Tax Justice
May 18, 2023
Job Title: Community Advocate
Organization: The Coalition for Property Tax Justice
Since 2009, Wayne County has foreclosed on 1 in 3 Detroit homes for nonpayment of property taxes. Many of these foreclosures would not have happened if the City of Detroit had correctly assessed property values. We have not seen this number of property tax foreclosures since the Great Depression.
More troubling, a recent study found that over this period the City assessed between 55%-85% of Detroit homes at rates that violated the Michigan Constitution, placing the unprecedented number of property tax foreclosures in disrepute. For more information, read this op-ed in the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/opinion/coronavirus-cities-property-taxes.html In response to this crisis, the Coalition created the Property Tax Appeal Project (PTAP). This project helps homeowners file protests with the City in order to lower their property tax assessments, in turn lowering their tax bills.
The PTAP is looking for community advocates to support our clients.
Community advocates will manage a caseload of clients, draft property tax assessment appeals, conduct home visits, screen clients for eligibility for wraparound services, and ensure clients are connected with organizations best equipped to provide support for their additional needs.
- Be able to work 10 to 20 hours per week. Work hours are flexible and largely remote.
- Have reliable transportation. Community advocates will need to make client home visits.
- Have a smartphone capable of taking photos and reliable access to a computer.
- Have experience managing and supporting clients in stressful situations.
- Have strong and prompt written and verbal communication skills.
- Community advocates will need to both be able to speak to clients and write documents that are acceptable to file with the City of Detroit.
- Be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and a team player.
Apply by sending a resume and cover letter to Zeke at firstname.lastname@example.org.