Posting: Respite Counselor - Indian Trails Camp
November 28, 2022
Grand Rapids, MI US
Indian Trails Camp brings adaptive recreation to campers in a safe, barrier-free environment in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Respite campers participate in a wide range of activities while learning perseverance, teamwork, and self-reliance and experiencing empowering fun and friendship. Some activities include swimming, boating, fishing, zip line, climbing wall, music, theater, and sports.
We are now seeking enthusiastic, responsible, and caring individuals to join our Weekend Respite Camp team! Camp staff receive a wonderful training program, incredible experiences that translate into many different professions, and an opportunity to have fun while making a huge difference!
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Assist campers in daily activity areas: meal times, swimming, boating, arts, ropes and all other camp activities while being aware of physical and emotional limitations of campers.
- Assist in program planning based on pre-arranged educational/recreational themes while adapting activities, as needed, to allow active participation by all of your campers.
- Be a role model to help your camper have a positive experience with the activities and friendships while providing emotional support and encouragement.
- Maintain constant supervision of campers, provide physical assistance to campers when necessary, assist campers in emergency (fire, injury, etc.)
- Observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques
- Care for all physical needs of campers needed assistance. This may include dressing, feeding, toileting, showering etc.
- Follow all camp policies and procedures in accordance with state licensing as directed by the Camp Director
- Work closely with Heath Office Staff to ensure familiarity with the special needs, medical conditions, dietary concerns, safety requirements and/or behavioral problems of the campers.
- Assisting in incoming and outgoing camp activities including check in and cleaning of the cabin and other camp areas.
- Responsible for keeping the cabin and camp areas clean. Keep all camp supplies and equipment in good shape and organized.
- Responsible for any other duties as assigned by Camp Director or Lead Counselors.
Shifts are filled by sign up for dates throughout the year. either weekend respite camps (Friday-Sunday) or one day respite camps (Saturday). Weekends are paid at $260 plus free room and board. Saturday camps are 8 hours at $10.25 per hour.