Posting: Therapist Intake ABH LMSW - The Guidance Center, Southgate MI
February 13, 2023
As a recognized leader in our field, The Guidance Center provides a broad range of services that have helped children, adults and families unlock potential and build better lives since 1958. With 25 programs we offer treatment, prevention, growth and education services to more than 15,000 people annually. Together we: Nurture development. Foster resilience. Cultivate well-being.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Intake Therapist (LMSW only) to join our team of talented professionals. Due to the nature of the position, all services are performed in-person only.
As an Intake Therapist in the Adult Behavioral Health Program, you will be responsible for the following:
- Conduct intake assessments to identify areas of need and service preferences, and complete documentation within 48 hours;
- Gather and integrate information from all available sources at the time of intake, including consumer self-reports, reports from family members, guardians and Adult Foster Care providers, documented medical and treatment history, needs surveys, assessments from other disciplines, etc.;
- Utilize motivational interviewing techniques to assess and articulate the motivation of consumers to address specific needs identified during the assessment process;
- Provide consumers, family members and guardians with complete and accurate information regarding each of the services and supports available to meet needs identified during the assessment process;
- Assist consumers with initiating the person-centered planning process (consistent with principles of Person-Centered Planning, Integrated Dual Disorder Treatment, Self-Determination and current Medicaid Guidelines);
- Develop Safety Plans as circumstances require based on needs identified during the assessment process;
- Identify those consumers who require more extensive evaluation to identify their needs and preferences, and facilitate referrals for psychological testing, discovery groups, etc. as needed;
- Consider and promote the utilization of group and recovery support services;
- Participate in regularly scheduled clinical supervision, case consultations and team meetings;
- Document all face-to-face service activity and phone contact pertaining to consumers;
- Perform within acceptable standards of productivity;
- Complete all documentation within expected timeframes;
- Respond in writing to routine chart reviews and audits;
- Maintain appropriate state licensure or certification;
- Complete 24 hours of program and/or position specific training on an annual basis;
- Maintain appropriate professional ethics and boundaries;
- Abide by all Guidance Center policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
To qualify for this position, you will need the following:
- Master’s degree in Social Work with corresponding full licensure (LMSW) in the state of Michigan, and have at least one-year post-Master’s experience providing mental health treatment services to adults with severe mental illness.
- Candidates must obtain the Qualified Mental Health Professional, credential within 120 days of hire. It is preferred that candidates for this position also acquire a certification or development plan in substance abuse such as the CAADC through MCBAP within 90 days of hire.
- Must have the ability to engage and develop therapeutic alliances with adult, adolescent and children mental health consumers, their families and supporters.
- Must be an expert in helping consumers identify their service needs and preferences, develop initial treatment plans, and transition to longer-term services based on their treatment plans.
- Additional requirements include a nonjudgmental approach that reflects cultural competency and sensitivity to the unique needs and diverse experiences of adults and children with mental illness, substance abuse/dependence, their families and providers. Candidates must demonstrate effective organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
The Guidance Center believes that our team members are our most valuable resources, and we invest in them accordingly. We offer our employees a competitive salary, flexible scheduling opportunities, a team-oriented work environment and much more! If you are interested in becoming part of our world-class team, please submit your resume on-line at www.guidance-center.org/careers.
The Guidance Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity