Posting: Youth Specialist - Guiding Harbor, Belleville MI
February 16, 2023
Job Title: Youth Specialist
Location: Belleville, MI
Reports to: Residential Supervisor
FLSA Status: Full Time and Part Time Non-Exempt
Girlstown Residential Program serves female children (ages 10-17). The residents of Girlstown are in foster care, but due to their behavioral and/or emotional needs as a result of the trauma they have suffered, are not successful in a traditional foster home. This setting allows for them to develop coping strategies so that they can be fully productive members of the community.
The Youth Specialist position responsible for the 24 – hour care, supervision, safety and welfare of the Girlstown residents.
Duties and responsibilities
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Complete shift report with co-workers
- Complete school attendance sheet daily & check calendar for appointments & transports
- Supervise resident study time and assist with homework
- Monitor resident’s laundry day and teach laundry skills
- Pass medication as assigned and follow medication log procedures
- Initiate and provide supervision of resident’s chore, teach cleaning skills and collect cleaning supplies and store appropriately after chores are completed
- Maintain effective and ongoing supervision of residents on all floors of the facility and outside on facility grounds
- Monitor dinner, teach appropriate manners, complete Meal Attendance Form
- Monitor resident shower time and record on “Resident Grade Sheet”.
- Complete Activity Reports as assigned
- Complete incident reports, point book and LOP’s before leaving shift
- Walk through the house to make sure it is clean & organized by the end of each shift.
- Wash any dishes left in the sink & clean up the staff office
- Check all doors to make sure the house is secure before leaving shift
- Prepare light meals if the cook is unavailable.
- Develop & provide effective treatment and self-help groups/trainings that augment treatment.
- Transport clients as assigned.
- Demonstrate appropriate modeling behavior/communication & maintain a professional relationship with the residents.
- Work with treatment team to aid in the program objectives.
- Attend staff meetings, training and workshops
- Inform immediate supervisor verbally and in writing any issues that impact the clients, employees & administration of the agency.
- Inform administration immediately of any client abuse or neglect.
- Perform other job related tasks or duties as assigned by the Residential Supervisor and/or Girlstown Program Manager.
Skills and Qualifications
- Associates degree in Social Work or related field preferred
- Knowledge and experience in working with abuse/neglect teenagers preferred
- Understanding of working with children who have experienced trauma
- Must be trained in First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Commitment to the goals and philosophy of the organization including cultural competency objectives.
- Ability to provide direction and supervision to residents
- Experience in leading groups and therapeutic activities
- Must be highly motivated and flexible
- Must display sophisticated writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently or with a team.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, Project
- This job operates in a residential setting.
- Responsible to work with On-Call when there is an emergency and perform On-Call duties as needed.
- May be required to work nights and Weekends and have a flexible schedule.
- This position requires travel; Must have reliable transportation and maintain a good driving record.
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Positions in this class typically require fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform physical behavior management techniques safely.
- Must be able to make trips up and down stairs during the work day
- Must be able to drive and/or sit in a car or van for significant periods of time.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials found in a home or general office environment.
- Use of household cleaning products and disinfectants may be required.