Posting: Special Needs Inclusion Counselor - Jewish Community Center Day Camps
March 20, 2023
This position is a 10-week contracted position who reports directly to the Unit Head and Director of Special Needs. The individual will work as a 1:1 counselor in the Kids All Together (KAT) program and fulfill duties listed below.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide modifications and accommodations (i.e. paraphrasing instructions, prompting, physical assistance, etc.) in order to help the camper succeed in all camp activities with their neurotypical peers.
- Encourage social interactions between the campers with and without special needs.
- Adapt activities or games to allow maximum participation for the camper.
- Address any questions from campers without special needs or counselors regarding the camper with special needs.
- Provide any other individualized assistance to promote the child’s general adjustment to camp and maintain daily written communication logs for camper.
- Communicate effectively, both written and verbal amongst senior staff and families
- Help other counselors and campers learn the positive aspects of the camper, reinforcers, interests, and strengths.
- Must exhibit maturity, good moral character, and integrity while modeling appropriate behavior and use of behavior management techniques; consistent attendance is expected.
- Must pass a background check.
- Experience working in a structured camp environment for children with special needs;
- Knowledge and experience working with individuals who have cognitive impairments, autism/ASD spectrum, mental health challenges, developmental delays, and those who require additional accommodations;
- Comfortable working on a team and maintaining regular communication with other counselors and senior staff;
- Must possess a minimum of a high school diploma or GED. Preference to individuals pursuing a degree in psychology, Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), social work, education, or special education.
Apply here: https://jccdet.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App