Bowers came to Wayne State University School of Social Work in 1998 after having worked in human services organizations. She has worked extensively with abused, neglected and delinquent children between the ages of 12 and 18, having the role of program administrator in several residential treatment facilities. Bowers played an instrumental role in developing an adolescent 'boot camp' for delinquent male adolescents as a 'last chance' prior to incarceration in the adult criminal justice system. She has also provided behind-bars parenting education for adult male prisoners and been a consultant to several child caring and child placing agencies.
Bowers served as the coordinator of the Bachelors of Social Work Program until Fall 2016 and currnelty teaches policy and services in the junior and senior year of the B.S.W. Program and the capstone course in the senior year of the B.S.W. Program.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., Wayne State University
- M.S.W., Wayne State University
- B.A., Johnson C. Smith University
- Social welfare policy
- Social functioning and the effects of stress
- Integrative seminar (writing intensive)
- Social work practice methods
Areas of Expertise
TARGET POPULATION EXPERTISE
- Children and youth
- Older adults
SUBSTANTIVE AREA EXPERTISE
- Child welfare
- Human services organizations
- Interprofessional team work
Bowers is working with an interprofessional team of medicine, pharmacy and social work researchers related to providing a holistic approach to working with older adults. The first phase of this project entails conducting team interviews with older adults in their homes.
For further details on other research, see Center for Social Work Research: http://research.socialwork.wayne.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=141&Itemid=79
- SW 3410 Foundations of Ethics and Values in Social Work
- SW 3710 Social Welfare and the Social Work Profession: History, Trends and Basic Concepts
- SW 4020 Social Work Macro Theory and Practice
- SW 4710 Social Welfare in the United States: Current Programs