Director of Continuing Education and Interprofessional Education, Lecturer
Johns, director of continuing and interprofessional education and a lecturer at Wayne State University School of Social Work, leads the development and administration of continuing education credits (CEs) to social workers and allied health professionals. She also works to promote interprofessional education and dialog among social workers. Before her current position, Johns was an Academic Services Officer III with the School of Social Work. As an Academic Services Officer, she received numerous awards for best practices in academic advising and service to the advising profession. In 2016, Johns was named an emerging leader by the Global Community for Academic Advisors (NACADA). Her contribution to the advising profession includes publications, conference planning, and local, national, and international presentations. She is also an appointed member of the research and publication divisions of NACADA.
As a mixed-methods researcher, Johns research interest includes the neurobiology of trauma and trauma recovery and the social determinant of poor mental health among urban African American youth from adolescence to early adulthood. In addition to this work, Johns studies the use of mental health awareness and prevention initiatives in education settings.
Johns has a doctorate in education with a focus in leadership and policy studies from Wayne State University. Johns also earned her bachelor's and master's degree in social work from Wayne State. She has graduate certificates in college and university teaching from Wayne State and in mixed methods research from the University of Michigan.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ed.D, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, Wayne State University
- Certificate in Mixed Methods Research, University of Michigan
- Certified Child and Adolescent trauma professional, International Trauma Training Institute
- Certified Youth, Adult, Higher Education, Public Saftey, and Fire and EMS Mental Health First Aid Instructor, National Council for Behavioral Health
- Graduate Certificate in College and University Teaching, Wayne State University
- M.S.W., Wayne State University
- B.S.W., Wayne State University
- Telehealth Certification , Old Dominion University
- The Neurobiology of Trauma and Trauma Recovery
- Mental health and substance use
- African American Children, Youth, and Families
- SW 1010 Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare
- SW 3410 Foundations of Ethics and Values in Social Work
- SW 5720 Social Services for Older Adults (TA)
- FYS 1010 Learning with the Brain in Mind
- FYS 1010 First-Year Success Seminar
- C2 Pipeline - Warrior College Experience