Posting: Director of Senior Adult Services - JVS Human Services
June 14, 2019
JVS Human Services helps Metro Detroiters and their families maximize their potential by providing counseling training, and supportive services for people with disabilities, job seekers, seniors, and others in need.
Our approach is rooted in Jewish values and the steadfast belief that the best way to help people is to make it possible for them to help themselves.
- Oversee and direct operations of JVS’ Senior Adult Services Program, including the planning and implementation of marketing strategies that will cultivate the program’s census and community support. Oversee fiscal management of the program, including budget development and monitoring.
- Develop and maintain relationships in the aging network, including the Alzheimer’s Association, Area Agency on Aging 1-B, MORC and the Michigan Adult Day Services Association, as well as the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit, Jewish Senior Life of Metropolitan Detroit, the Jewish Community Center and Jewish Family Service.
- Work with internal teams to expand media opportunities, and coordinate the production and distribution of marketing materials.
- In coordination with other JSL and JVS staff, organize, host, and present exhibits at Aging Network, educational events, and public forums.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new services for the Brown Program and related entities, including Memory Club, Mind University, and Senior Service Corps.
- Expand the Brown Program’s programmatic capacity and funding resources by assisting in writing grant applications, encouraging donations, and helping establish funds/endowments that ensure the Program’s long-term success.
- Attend open houses, trainings, forums, and networking events to build and increase public knowledge and presence of the Brown Program.
- Recruit, orient, train. and evaluate designated staff. Complete written performance evaluations, as required. Schedule, manage, and cover for supervised positions when staff are absent or on leave.
- Ensure that program content, policies, procedures, and staff documentation comply with accreditation standards, funding source requirements, government regulations, and applicable laws. Complete, submit and maintain reports, as required.
- Pursue educational and research activities to continue to expand knowledge of best practices in providing care for persons with dementia and their family partners.
- Exercise leadership in health and safety issues, taking proactive steps to prevent potential injury or harm to participants, their family members, staff, and volunteers. Ensure that staff are up to date and trained in safety procedures on a regular basis, giving leadership to other staff during emergency or crisis situations, and notifying and involving partner or collateral agencies/services like AAA 1-B, MORC, or Adult Protective Services.
- Ensure strong communication and coordination of services between program sites, and with other departments of both agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, gerontology or related field; Master’s degree required.
- Work/life experience with senior adults diagnosed with dementia and their family care partner.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in your workday, support an experienced team, and manage relationships with varying stakeholders.
- Composition skills sufficient to prepare required reports and grant applications. Interpersonal skills sufficient to communicate with participants, public and staff.
- Experience with creative program development and marketing training preferred.
- Ability to work flexible hours and travel to local community sites. Occasional out of town travel may be required.
- JVS Human Services provides a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 403(b), paid time off (vacation, sick leave, and holiday pay), long term disability, and basic life insurance.
Rose and Sidney Diem Building
29699 Southfield, MI 48076-2063
MAIN: (248)559-5000 FAX: (248)559-0773
Home website: jvshumanservices.org