Posting: 482Forward - Lead Youth Organizer
February 3, 2021
Please send resumes to hiring@482Forward.org.
Lead Youth Organizer
482Forward is seeking a full-time Lead Youth Organizer to lead our 482Youth Organizing Collective. The Lead Youth Organizer will be responsible to support the 482Youth organizers and partner organizations to lead citywide education justice campaigns, strengthen the 482Youth organizing chapters and provide coaching to the 482Youth Adult Allies.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to foster coordination and cooperation among diverse and intergenerational groups.
482Forward is a citywide education organizing network in Detroit. We are neighborhood organizations, parents, and youth committed to ensuring that all Detroit children have access to an excellent education, regardless of their race or socioeconomic status. Together, we are building power to make systemic change and win educational justice for our communities.
482Forward works with existing neighborhood-based organizations to help them build an education organizing program. These organizations include social service delivery agencies, youth development groups and neighborhood associations. 482Forward focuses on organizations that have strong relationships in the communities and have an invested interest in Detroit student’s success. Our mission to improve student success encompasses the whole neighborhood, and we strive to uplift organizations already established in doing that work.
Building and maintaining the 482Youth Organizing Collective
Support 482Youth member organizations, adult allies, and youth organizers to implement citywide and neighborhood-based education organizing campaigns
Lead 482Youth Youth Organizing Institute (training program for new recruits) and summer youth employment program
· Coordinate and oversee youth organizing programs
· Execute canvass data operations which includes cutting turf, printing walk sheets
· Manage youth organizing databases ongoing
· Manage teams of paid and volunteers
· Work with other organizers to engage youth members in community base building activities
· Build relationships and coordinate programming with other organizations in Detroit that engage in in youth organizing
· Participate in staff political education and other staff development activities
· Must work with other staff to plan community events that bring in and retain current and potential members
· Building relationships with school administrators, Teachers, Parents, and Students in the Detroit schools
· Staying abreast on current events, policy decisions, and results to electoral races that affect campaign strategy
· Facilitate meeting and workshops that Inform Staff and Members on the goals and objectives of canvassing projects
· Helps develops clear outreach goals that support broader campaigns around safe and supportive school
EDUCATION: Highschool diploma or GED
Communicate and maintain trust relationships with communities, partners and other educational authorities that 482Forward works with
5 years’ experience in youth organizing and working with young people
Experience working with education policy issues
Experience in education organizing
Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills