Posting: Richfield Public School Academy - School Social Worker
July 13, 2021
School: Richfield Public School Academy
City/State: Flint, Michigan
Job Title: School Social Worker
The School Social Worker assists students whose emotional/social problems interfere with their ability to obtain maximum benefit from the educational program. Acts as liaison between parents/guardians, school, and public and private agencies responsible for student care and services.
- Provides social work evaluations and services to students suspected to have a disability or special education students through the referral or Multidisciplinary Evaluation Team (MET).
- May provide pre-referral consultation to teachers and administrators regarding students with behavioral and/or adjustment problems.
- Attends MET and Individualized Education Program Team (IEPT) meetings.
- Develops annual goals and short-term instructional objectives for students on the caseload.
- Provides consultation to parents/guardians regarding family and community adjustment.
- Serves as liaison between the school and outside social agencies when appropriate.
- Could make home visits for family consultation and evaluation.
- Provides assistance to teachers and principals regarding students with adjustment problems.
- Assists in the development of student behavior management plans, functional behavior assessments and manifestation determinations.
- Collects data regarding behavioral intervention plans and services provided to students with disabilities.
- Maintains appropriate confidential records on each student referred.
- Consults, counsels and collaborates with parents, school personnel, students and appropriate community agencies regarding behavioral and educational concerns developed in a multi-tiered system of support.
- Consistently models Win-Win leadership.
- May travel to and from district sites and constituent school districts.
- Represents the district on various community services agencies and professional organizations as appropriate to the assigned area.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Master-Social Work required. Eligible for temporary or full approval as a school social worker through the Michigan Department of Education. Must hold a valid social work license through the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).
None required; successful school social work experience preferred.
School Social Worker Skills/Other:
- Skilled in interviewing, individual and group treatment techniques.
- Ability to formulate eligibility recommendations for emotional impairment.
- Demonstrated initiative and understanding in working with students, parents/guardians, teachers and staff. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to solve problems logically and effectively, to work independently, to manage multiple tasks with results and demonstrate effective time management skills.
- Ability to utilize district technology and work to maintain proficiency, as required skill sets change with technology and/or the needs of the district.
- Punctuality and good attendance are requirements for the position.
- Ability to work a flexible workday and work week. Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Demonstrated mental/physical ability and stamina for meeting the essential duties of the position.
- Discretion with confidential information.
- Ability to maintain a calm, poised and professional image at all times.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make decisions in accordance with board policies and administrative guidelines.
Please contact: Lloyd Dockham, Special Education Director, at 810-736-1281 ext. 226
or by email at: Ldockham@richfieldpsa.org.