Posting: Equity and Inclusion Specialist - Planned Parenthood of Michigan
July 26, 2022
POSITION TITLE: Equity and Inclusion Specialist
STATUS: Full Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $50,000
SCHEDULE: Monday thru Friday
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD. Life & ADD, 403B, Flexible Spending Account, Generous Paid Time off Program and Free healthcare at our clinics for you and your immediate family!
Planned Parenthood of Michigan has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring COVID-19 vaccinations including boosters when eligible for all employees.
The Equity & Inclusion Specialist will support the implementation of PPMI’s People, Culture & Equity (PCE) initiatives, with the goal of centering our most marginalized employees. The work of this position is linked closely with improving employee and patient experience, reducing abortion stigma, leveraging trauma-informed practices and retaining a diverse employee population at all levels of the organization. A collaborative individual contributor, the Equity & Inclusion Specialist will partner closely with members of the PCE Team while maintaining a high-level of confidentiality and a service philosophy aligned with PPMI’s service standards. This staff person will fully embody a commitment to race equity; evidenced in all interactions with PPMI colleagues and stakeholders.
- Designs and facilitates equity and inclusion trainings in close partnership with the Director of Culture & Equity.
- Coordinates the organization’s employee resource groups (ERGs) and engages in strategic planning with the aim of sustaining and growing the organization’s ERG offerings.
- Facilitates (and serves as co-chair of) the Equity Action Team (EAT), ensuring the EAT informs and supports the organization’s equity and inclusion goals and or initiatives.
- Assists with reviewing current practices and policies and provides insight to the extent to which they support or hinder the organization’s race equity goals.
- Supports DEI data and assessment efforts. This includes, but is not limited to, coordinating the annual Climate & Belonging Survey, annual voluntary identity disclosure survey, and retention interview process.
- Partners closely with the learning and development team to ensure that training and onboarding practices and inclusive and equitable.
- Develops and/or acquires training and development to aid diversity and retention initiatives, ensuring outcomes are focused on improving work environment for BIPOC staff in a primarily white-led organization.
- Partners with the Manager of Grants to identify funding opportunities that support PPMI’s DEI goals.
- Cultivates and maintains effective partnerships with diverse external organizations, other relevant organizations, thought leaders, partners and vendors in order to inform the affiliate’s strategy for racial equity work and other diversity and inclusion objectives.
- Serves as DEI subject matter expert and maintains knowledge of diversity-related issues, legislation, and best practices.
- Provides training and policy updates to colleagues on nuanced conversations about race, privilege and other identity differences.
- Provides support, coaching and consultation to individuals and groups regarding cross-cultural conflicts.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be added, and this job description can be amended at any time.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) issues in some capacity.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and facilitating trainings or workshops.
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for equity and inclusion issues through research, activism, or project development; significant knowledge about current trends, issues and policies about DEI.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information
- Demonstrated ability to achieve objectives in collaboration with other functional areas
- Demonstrated commitment to Planned Parenthood’s mission, vision and values
- Give and receive critical feedback about racist behaviors that show up in our work environment.
- Work under pressure on multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
- Handle stressful situations and provide a high level of customer service in a calm and professional manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Experience in leadership coaching, team dynamics, and/or data and assessment a plus.
- Commitment to advancing race(+) equity in one's work: interest in expanding knowledge about the role that racial inequity plays in our society.
- Awareness of multiple group identities and their dynamics; bring a high level of self-awareness about personal identity, empathy, and humility to interpersonal interactions.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and directly as well as hear and act on feedback related to identity and equity.
- Strong sense of accountability to diversity, equity and inclusion principles and practices.
- Understand of the impact of identity dynamics on organizational culture.
Commitment to Planned Parenthood's In This Together service ethos, workplace values, and service ·standards.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Matthew Yuill Director of Culture and Equity Pronouns: He/Him (Information on Pronouns) Planned Parenthood of Michigan P: (734)-773-0798 | E: Matt.Yuill@ppmi.org