Social Work Licensure Exam Support
Licensure Lunch and Learn Series
This ten-week series will support social workers' preparation for taking the licensing examination. Participants will leave the course with a greater understanding themselves as effective learners, setting goals, and strengthening time management and study skills while developing a greater awareness of the factors that influence success and the habits that can support success. Through discussions and activities, each social worker will review exam content and leave with connections to create a study group and access to our exclusive WSU Social Work Licensure Exam Hub resources available on Canvas. The upcoming summer 2023 will be a self-paced asynchronous virtual session from June 30 - September 8, 2023 on the following topics.
I prepared for my exam using the Therapist Development Center, Agents of Change, and the Wayne State University School of Social Work 10-week Lunch and Learn series. The lunch and learn series was extremely helpful., especially the interactive portion. I was able to see my progress in carefully reading the sample questions provided to fully understand what I am being asked. This series truly prepared me to think like a social worker in different settings. I feel more confident in my broader competence in this profession as a whole as opposed to just my own area of expertise. The structure of the series was unbelievably helpful to me. Being able to participate in the lectures, and have PowerPoints and additional resources provided was amazing. This made my study process feel 1,000 times easier and more manageable. The Lunch and Learn truly enhances test-taking confidence. Thank you!
- Breana Lewis, LMSW
Summer 2023 series details
Participants can complete the following asynchronous sessions at their own pace between June 30 - September 8, 2023, with new sessions available for viewing each Friday. We are also offering two optional bonus live virtual sessions to support your learning. Learn more about the Lunch and Learn Series by viewing our pre-recorded Information Session.
Asynchronous virtual sessions:
- Learning, goals and managing stress by WSU Academic Success Center staff and Social Work faculty
- Week 1 available June 30: What do you know and how well you know it
- Week 2 available July 7: Study strategies
- Week 3 available July 14: Understanding examination questions, and connecting exam questions to content areas
- Week 4 available July 21: Performance stress and anxiety management
- Clinical Exam Content Refresher by WSU Social Work faculty
- Week 5 available July 28: Human development, diversity, and behavior in the environment
- Week 6 available August 4: Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment planning
- Week 7 available August 11: Psychotherapy, clinical interventions, and case management
- Week 8 available August 18: Professional values and ethics
- Wrap-Up by licensure mentors and WSU Social Work faculty
- Week 9 available August 25: How to Develop Study Groups
- Week 10 available September 1: Next Steps and Asynchronous Learning Options
Optional live virtual sessions:
- Drop-in Welcome Session: June 30, 2023 from 6 - 7 pm EST on Zoom
- Are you Optimizing your Online Learning Experience?: July 28, 2023, 6 - 7 pm EST on Zoom
Summer 2023 registration is open from May 30 - June 19, 2023. Space is limited. REGISTER HERE
Studies have shown that group learning produces results. Groups provide participants with greater resources, fosters learning and comprehension, create opportunities for critical thinking, reduces procrastination, increases motivation and accountability, and helps break up the monotony of studying alone. Those interested in connecting with fellow alums to form a study group are encouraged to join our private WSU Social Work Licensure Facebook group, post a note introducing yourself and seek out a study group. Participants can select from either a virtual or in-person format to fit their learning styles and schedules. Virtual options can include the use of Zoom, Teams, and Google video conferencing by the study group. WSU alumni looking to meet on campus and utilize library study space, can request a free Alumni OneCard, or groups can select a meeting place within their community to gather.
The Social Work Continuing Education Office is now offering students, alumni and community members the option to purchase a 90-day subscription to the Social Work Examination Services (SWES) online clinical practice exam. The online computer-based SWES exam is designed to respond to the ASWB social work license exams in all states and can be taken from the comfort of your own home at a time that is convenient to you.
Customers will receive:
- A 90- day subscription to Social Work Examination Services' Online Clinical Practice Exam.
- The 90-day subscription includes two four-hour timed clinical exams with 170 questions drawn from a question bank of 700 practice questions. Users can attempt each exam THREE times.
- The 90-day subscription includes a mini-clinical exam test with 30 questions. Users can attempt the mini-exam THREE times.
- Unlimited access to our WSU Social Work Licensure Exam Hub available on Canvas, which is designed to guide you through the exam preparation process using evidence-based learning strategies.
- Access to instant reports that allow you to see what question you got wrong and an explanation of the correct answer.
For questions regarding the practice exam contact the Social Work Office of Continuing Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you possess a sense of responsibility to nurture the next generation of highly regarded social work professionals and prepare them for successful completion of the social work licensure exam? If so, we encourage you to contact the Social Work Office of Continuing Education at email@example.com to learn how you can put your mentorship skills to use. Opportunities to mentor newer alums and provide them with the opportunity to apply their classroom instruction and real-world experience to the licensure exam preparation process are available.
- Assocation of Social Work Board Resources:
- High Stakes Exam and Text Anxiety
- Licensure Checklist
- SSW Licensure Exam Program Event Recordings:
For more information on social work licensure support resources contact the Social Work Office of Continuing Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.