Overdose Prevention through Harm Reduction
In this course, WSU Social Work Associate Professor and Center for Behavioral Health and Justice Director of Implementation Brad Ray, PhD will outline his community-engaged research efforts at understanding and addressing the overdose crisis. These efforts span criminal-legal, treatment, and public health systems focusing on overdose prevention through harm reduction, defined as any positive change. This lecture will focus on trends in overdose patterns from current surveillance systems, focusing on fentanyl and a critical assessment of the use of Naloxone, the opioid overdose antidote, in these surveillance systems. Finally, Ray draws on his experiences to highlight the need for harm reduction, both the philosophy and strategies, to guide public health and public safety policies.
- Describe harm reduction as a philosophy and a practice
- Explain what Naloxone is and how it differs from medications for opioid use disorder.
- Explain opioid use disorder
- Describe the evolving role of opioids in the overdose epidemic
- Understand how stigma continues to impact overdose
- Understand how to administer Naloxone (both intranasal and injectable) on individuals who are overdosing on opioids
Steps to complete this course
- Pay for the course: The cost of the lecture with 4 Continuing Education Clock Hours (CECH) is $30. The course is open to all licensed social work practitioners. Non-Social Workers will obtain a certificate of completion. Payment must be submitted to obtain course content. Please use your computer, (not a phone), to pay. Click here to pay for this course
Complete Course: You will be sent a document containing course materials and Post-Test. Complete the directions in this document.
Pending a passing test score and payment in full, a CE certificate will be e-mailed to you within 7 to 10 business days.
If you pay for this course before completing it, you will have up to 60 days after payment to complete this course. After that, no refunds will be issued. Visit our Contact Page for more information in regards to payments.
For further information or any questions, please contact the CE department at email@example.com.