The following materials should be provided by filling out the application and uploading the required documents at:
Ph.D. Program: All applicants must demonstrate potential for study for a Ph.D. degree by providing the following documents:
- Completed application (online at http://gradschool.wayne.edu/future/grad-admission.php), by December 18 for the following Fall term.
- Current Personal Résumé
- Three letters of reference, two from faculty, researchers, practitioners or administrators holding a doctoral degree who will be asked to evaluate the applicant's scholarship and aptitude for research. A third reference from an individual who has supervised the applicant, preferably since attaining the M.S.W. degree.
- Official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Graduate Record Examination: Students must submit official GRE scores taken within the last five years. Successful applicants have generally scored 147 on the quantitative reasoning and 153 on the verbal reasoning sections.
- English Language Proficiency: Students whose native language is not English are expected to complete the TOEFL examination. A score of 80 or higher is required for admission into the program.
- Statement of Professional Goals: A three to five page, typewritten statement that describes the motivation for doctoral study, description of any experiences outside of normal coursework that are relevant to the applicant's proposed field of study, career goals, potential focus for research area and how that research interest may fit with one or more of the research programs of the Doctoral Program Faculty at the School of Social Work.
- Writing Sample: At least one sample of scholarly writing (article, chapter, thesis, term paper, grant proposal or research report), of at least five typed pages, published or unpublished, that demonstrates the applicant's writing ability to critique, synthesize and make conclusions about key social work issues or problems.