The application deadline is December 18 for start the following fall term. Please note the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) requirement has been waived for the 2021-22 application cycle. All applicants must demonstrate potential for study for a PhD degree by providing the following documents in their application:
- Current personal resume
- Three letters of reference: Two letters must be from faculty, researchers, practitioners or administrators holding a doctoral degree who will be asked to evaluate the applicant's scholarship and aptitude for research. A third reference from an individual who has supervised the applicant, preferably since attaining the MSW degree.
- Official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- English Language Proficiency: Students whose native language is not English are expected to complete the TOEFL examination. A score of 80 or higher is required for admission into the program.
- Statement of Professional Goals: A three to five-page, typewritten statement that describes the motivation for doctoral study, description of any experiences outside of normal coursework that are relevant to the applicant's proposed field of study, career goals, potential focus for research area and how that research interest may fit with one or more of the research programs of our Doctoral Program faculty.
- Writing Sample: At least one sample of scholarly writing (article, chapter, thesis, term paper, grant proposal or research report), of at least five typed pages, published or unpublished, that demonstrates the applicant's writing ability to critique, synthesize and make conclusions about key social work issues or problems.