The School of Social Work sponsors a full range of advisement and student development services for prospective, incoming and current students at the undergraduate and graduate levels of study. All students have access to the B.S.W. and M.S.W. academic advisors with whom they can consult in order to address professional, enrollment, and academic interests. The staff members are graduate-degreed social workers who bring experience both in social work and higher education to their work within the school.
Please contact the Office of Admissions and Student Services (OASS) to speak with one of our professional advisors by calling 313-577-4409. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. Admitted students can schedule an appointment directly with their advisor using the links below.
For convenience, advising is available at various days, times and formats. In-person advising is available in the School of Social Work building (5447 Woodward Avenue) and via our Student Services Satellite Program in Old Main (5700 Cass Avenue) on select days and times.
Shantalea Johns, L.M.S.W./Academic Services Officer III
|Naelah Burks/Academic Advisor II |
Schedule an appointment with Ms. Burks here
Providing academic advising to all M.S.W. students admitted with Core/Regular Status (Only those who hold a baccalaureate degree in another discipline besides Social Work are eligible to apply for this status). Responsibilities include scheduling, plans of work and degree certification.
|Lawrence Robinson Jr., L.L.M.S.W./Academic Advisor II |
Schedule an appointment with Mr. Lawrence here
Providing academic advising to all M.S.W. students admitted with Pre-Candidate Master with Advanced Standing Status (Only students who hold a baccalaureate degree of Social Work from a CSWE accredited program are eligible to apply for this status). Responsibilities include scheduling, plans of work and degree certification. In addition, Mr. Robinson provides support to MSW students who the Innovation in Community Policy & Leadership (I-CPL) Concentration.
|Geoffrey Jones, L.L.M.S.W./Academic Services Officer II |
Schedule an appointment with Mr. Jones here
Providing academic advising to all prospective students seeking admission into the B.S.W. or M.S.W. program. Responsibilities include recruitment, Information Sessions, and individual meetings with prospective students. We encourage all prospective B.S.W. and M.S.W. students to attend an information session
Satellite Student Services Program
The Wayne State School of Social Work is taking a WARRIOR ROAD TRIP! We are traveling across campus to offer student services in Old Main Room 0121. We encourage you to swing by and chat with an advisor, writing coach, student org leader, field education representative or academic administrator. No appointment necessary, this is a walk-in program. View the schedule here.
Web-Based Advising Services
Please call or email us to schedule a web-based appointment via VSEE or Skype. Please include your time available (evening and weekend time available) for the appointment and provide your VSEE or Skype e-mail address. We will email or call you back to confirm the appointment time.
What You Can Expect of Your Advisor
- Information about the profession and career opportunities.
- Traditional guidance that helps students understands academic program requirements and assists with registration.
- Pre-admissions services that help qualified prospective students assess their academic strengths and needs and enroll in pre-degree courses.
- Retention services that help students gain those academic skills or capabilities needed to achieve success in undergraduate or graduate education.
- Advocacy services that help students troubleshoot matters that can disrupt academic success.
- Linkage and brokerage services that help students identify appropriate resources available through the university and community.
- Career advisement and job search opportunities that help students' transition into the profession as employed social workers.
Forms and Documents
- School of Social Work Media Policy
- Petition for transfer of undergraduate credit
- Petition for transfer of graduate credit
- Request for a Modified Plan of Work
- Course Override Request
- Incomplete Policy
- Incomplete Grade Policy Document
- Directed Study Application Form - Undergraduate
- Directed Study Application Form - Graduate
- SSW Student Reinstatement Policy, Instructions and Reinstatement Form
- School of Social Work Grade Academic Performance, Termination, Grade Appeal
- Request for Grade Appeal Instructions and Form
- Student Program Withdrawal, Readmission and Leave of Absence Policy and Proceduces
- Student Professional Performance Policy
- BSW Program Student Success Manual
- MSW Program Student Success Manual