About Field Education
The School of Social Work prepares professional practitioners at the baccalaureate and masters levels to provide service to vulnerable and oppressed individuals, groups, families, communities, and organizations located in the Detroit metropolitan area.
Because of Wayne State University's historical legacy, the school places special emphasis on this goal to prepare all professional practitioners to work with clients who have been disenfranchised through unjust and inequitable policies, practices, and programs institutionalized in society and its social institutions.
Field education is an integral part of the social work degree curriculum and is required of all students in the BSW and MSW programs. CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) requires colleges and universities offering accredited social work degrees to provide students educational instruction and opportunities in five areas: human behavior, policy, practice methods, research, and field education/work.
Coronavirus (COVID- 19) Office of Field Education updates:
The WSU School of Social Work administration has been carefully monitoring the emerging COVID-19 pandemic and assessing the impact of this crisis on our social work students. This situation is dynamic and ever changing, and we are working to make the best decision for our students and agencies. Students are eligible to attend field, as field has not been cancelled nor delayed. Students will still receive oversight and insurance from the school. Please review the contingency plan, located here, in the event students are prohibited by state or agency policy from returning and that will be evaluated as presented. Please reveiw our most up-to-date communications at https://socialwork.wayne.edu/current or via your course CANVAS page.
Important field information
Fall 2021 Important Dates:
- Monday August 30, 2021: Fall Field Placement begins, unless a different date is provided by the agency.
- Learning Plan is due Friday, Septermber 24, 2021
- Process Recordings or PRACSIS due dates:
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 1: September24, 2021
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 2: October 8, 2021
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 3: October 22, 2021
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 4: November 5, 2021
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 5: November 19, 2021
- Midterm Evaluation due October 15, 2021
- Field Instructor Assessment of Student Competencies (FIASC) due December 8, 2021
- Friday December 10, 2021: Official last day of Field for Fall 2021. All students must remain in field until this date.
PLEASE NOTE CHANGE IN FIELD HOURS - Required clock hours for field have been reduced by 15% for the 2021-2022 school year as follows:
- BSW = 196 hours per term
- MSW Foundation = 191 hours per term
- MSW Advanced - 2 day (16 hr.) placement = 191 hours per term
- MSW Advanced - 3 day (24 hr.) placement = 304 hours per term (15% reduction only on 2 days)
Winter 2022: Field Placement begins on January 3, 2022, unless a different date is provided by the agency.
Student training programs
Become a field agency site
If you are part of a social work agency in the metro Detroit or surrounding area, and you would like to work with our social work students, please feel free to contact us. We are always interested in forming relationships with new agencies. The first step in the process would be to complete the Application for Agency Participation. If your agency is already a partner site and you are looking to become a Field Instructor for your agency, please complete the New Field Instructor Application.