About Field Education
The School of Social Work prepares professional practitioners at the baccalaureate and masters levels to provide service to vulnerable and oppressed individuals, groups, families, communities, and organizations located in the Detroit metropolitan area.
Because of Wayne State University's historical legacy, the school places special emphasis on this goal to prepare all professional practitioners to work with clients who have been disenfranchised through unjust and inequitable policies, practices, and programs institutionalized in society and its social institutions.
Field education is an integral part of the social work degree curriculum and is required of all students in the BSW and MSW programs. CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) requires colleges and universities offering accredited social work degrees to provide students educational instruction and opportunities in five areas: human behavior, policy, practice methods, research, and field education/work.
Coronavirus (COVID- 19) Office of Field Education updates:
The WSU School of Social Work administration has been carefully monitoring the emerging COVID-19 pandemic and assessing the impact of this crisis on our social work students. This situation is dynamic and ever changing, and we are working to make the best decision for our students and agencies. Students are eligible to attend field, as field has not been cancelled nor delayed. Students will still receive oversight and insurance from the school. We did send out a contingency plan, located below, in the event students are prohibited by state or agency policy from returning and that will be evaluated as presented. Please reveiw our most up-to-date communications at https://socialwork.wayne.edu/current or via your course CANVAS page.
Important field information
Winter 2021 Important Dates:
- Monday January 4, 2021: Winter 2021 Field internships begin (unless directed to begin on a different date by the agency).
- Learning Plan is due Friday, January 29, 2021
- Process Recordings or PRACSIS due dates:
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 1: January 29, 2021
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 2: February 12, 2021
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 3: February 26, 2021
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 4: March 12, 2021
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 5: March 26, 2021
- Midterm Evaluation due February 26, 2021
- Field Instructor Assessment of Student Competencies (FIASC) due April 26, 2021
- Friday, April 23, 2021: Official last day of Field for Winter 2021. All students must remain in field until this date.
PLEASE NOTE CHANGE IN FIELD HOURS - Required clock hours for field have been reduced by 15% for the 2020-2021 school year as follows:
- BSW = 196 hours per term
- MSW Foundation = 191 hours per term
- MSW Advanced - 2 day (16 hr.) placement = 191 hours per term
- MSW Advanced - 3 day (24 hr.) placement = 304 hours per term (15% reduction only on 2 days)
Spring/Summer 2021 Field Placement (part-time BSW Students only): is scheduled to begin on May 3, 2021, unless a different date is provided by the agency, and the first official "last day" is August 2021.
Student training programs
Become a field agency site
If you are part of a social work agency in the metro Detroit or surrounding area, and you would like to work with our social work students, please feel free to contact us. We are always interested in forming relationships with new agencies. The first step in the process would be to complete the Application for Agency Participation. If your agency is already a partner site and you are looking to become a Field Instructor for your agency, please complete the New Field Instructor Application.