About Field Education
The School of Social Work prepares professional practitioners at the baccalaureate and masters levels to provide service to vulnerable and oppressed individuals, groups, families, communities, and organizations located in the Detroit metropolitan area.
Because of Wayne State University's historical legacy, the school places special emphasis on this goal to prepare all professional practitioners to work with clients who have been disenfranchised through unjust and inequitable policies, practices, and programs institutionalized in society and its social institutions.
Field education is an integral part of the social work degree curriculum, and is required of all students in the BSW and MSW programs. CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) requires colleges and universities offering accredited social work degrees to provide students educational instruction and opportunities in five areas: human behavior, policy, practice methods, research, and field education/work.
Important Field Information
Winter 2020 Important Dates:
- Monday January 6, 2020: Winter 2020 Field internships begin (unless directed to begin on a different date by the agency).
- Learning Plan is due Friday, January 31, 2020
- Process Recordings or PRACSIS due dates:
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 1: January 31, 2020
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 2: February 7, 2020
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 3: February 14, 2020
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 4: March 13, 2020
- Process Recording/PRACSIS 5: March 27, 2020
- Midterm Evaluation due March 6, 2020
- Field Instructor Assessment of Student Competencies (FIASC) due April 17, 2020
- Friday, April 24, 2020: Official last day of Field for Winter 2019. All students must remain in field until this date.
Spring/Summer 2020 Field Placement (cohort specific BSW part-time students only) is scheduled to begin on May 4, 2020, unless a different date is provided by the agency, and the first official "last day" is August 14, 2020.
Fall 2020 Field Placement is scheduled to begin on September 1, 2020, unless a different date is provided by the agency, and the first official "last day" is December 11, 2020.
Student Training Programs
Learn More about Our Program
The link below takes you to our Frequently Asked Questions section of the Field Education Manual. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us.
Looking to Get More Involved?
If you are part of a social work agency in the metro Detroit or surrounding area, and you would like to work with our social work students, please feel free to contact us. We are always interested in forming relationships with new agencies. The first step in the process would be to complete the Application for Agency Participation. If your agency is already a partner site and you are looking to become a Field Instructor for your agency, please complete the New Field Instructor Application.